Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default why only 99.9% of germs dead?

I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

Dave

What's 'Screen'?
Whatever it is, it doesn't kill 100% of bacteria - it might come close to
it, under lab tests, like all the others making the claim of 99.99%, but as
I said, this is under lab conditions - in the home, you would be lucky to
achieve 60-80%, but it's all ******** anyway, your food is covered in
bacteria, unless you soak it in domestos first, and there are more bacteria
in the body than there are human cells, so you could say we are just a
collection of bacteria that has managed to walk upright and tell jokes.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2010 16:44, Dave wrote:
I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

Dave

It means that they're a waste of time - 'cos it's the remaining 0.1%
which are the virulent ones which kill *you*! g
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 24, 5:19 pm, Halmyre wrote:
In article , says...

I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

I think it's because the manufacturer has no way of proving 100% killed, or something like that.

more cynically, I reckon it's so no one can sue the b@stards when
they've relied on any "100% kill" claim.

Merry Xmas

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2010 18:29, Roger Mills wrote:
On 24/12/2010 16:44, Dave wrote:
I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

Dave

It means that they're a waste of time - 'cos it's the remaining 0.1%
which are the virulent ones which kill *you*! g

Hee hee. You've got a point. The ones that survive are the ones that are
most resistant to the glog. They pass that on to the next generation
etc. Just like anti-biotics. Then 'We're doomed, Captain Mainwaring,
we're doomed!'.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

Dave

IIRC it is (or at least used to be) 99.9% of KNOWN germs.
So it was always the unknown germs that used to worry me.

Merry festive season of choice to you all

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

Dave

IIRC it is (or at least used to be) 99.9% of KNOWN germs.
So it was always the unknown germs that used to worry me.

Merry festive season of choice to you all

Oh, and does it kill the other 0.1% undead, so your kitchen surfaces are
haunted by the living dead?
I feel a B movie script coming on...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm
saying something like:

More to the point, is there a way of killing them other than dead?

I expect these are the same people who say "foot-pedal".

and "for free"

Those would be the same ****s in ad agencies who invite people to
pre-register. Shooting's too good for 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/24/2010 7:17 PM, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm
saying something like:

More to the point, is there a way of killing them other than dead?

I expect these are the same people who say "foot-pedal".

and "for free"

Those would be the same ****s in ad agencies who invite people to
pre-register. Shooting's too good for 'em.

And the people who 'pre-prepare' food.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 24, 11:00*pm, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
"David WE Roberts" wrote in ...

"Dave" wrote in message
I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

Dave

IIRC it is (or at least used to be) 99.9% of KNOWN germs.
So it was always the unknown germs that used to worry me.

Merry festive season of choice to you all

Oh, and does it kill the other 0.1% undead, so your kitchen surfaces are
haunted by the living dead?
I feel a B movie script coming on...

Actually, it's the ad campaign that's come back from the dead. The
"Kills 99% of household germs" advert for product "A" appeared on TV
at least 20-30 years ago. a few weeks later, product "B" started
advertising "Kills ALL known germs". I thought the story was told to
trainee advertising executives as a lesson in not underselling your
product (or being too honest), but maybe training isn't what it used
to be.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2010 17:07, Phil L wrote:
Dave wrote:
I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

Dave

What's 'Screen'?

It is an acidic cleaner used in hospitals and the school I used to work
at. It claims to kill MRSA and another hospital bug I can't bring to my
alcohol washed brain at the moment.

I can see why you asked the question about what is it. I can't pick the
product up on google.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2010 16:44, Dave wrote:
I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

Dave

It means that they're a waste of time - 'cos it's the remaining 0.1%
which are the virulent ones which kill *you*! g

We have been here before in the old super bug thread, when it was
decided to let the normal bugs compete with the super bugs and kill off
their supply of food.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 25, 5:44 am, Dave wrote:
I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

You can kill all germs with Aqua Regia.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Dec 25, 5:44 am, Dave wrote:
I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

You can kill all germs with Aqua Regia.

Talking of Domestos - why are there different coloured bottles? The gloop
seems to come out the same colour. Perhaps it bleaches itself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2010 09:38, Matty F wrote:
On Dec 25, 5:44 am, wrote:
I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

You can kill all germs with Aqua Regia.

Jeez I wouldn't like to be in the same room as that, let alone use it on
a work top

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 24, 4:44*pm, Dave wrote:
I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

Dave

IRL you wont get a continuous film of product, and germ kill rates
will be far lower.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 25, 5:44 am, wrote:
I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

You can kill all germs with Aqua Regia.

Jeez I wouldn't like to be in the same room as that, let alone use it on a
work top

Dave

IIRC Aqua Regia is just a combination of acids which dissolves the noble
metals such as gold and silver.
Wikipedia says Nitric and Hydrochloric. which sounds right.
Mind you, Wikipedia says 'fuming' and "concentrated" so that could be a bit
dodgy to be near.
Oh, and it rapidly decomposes and loses its effectiveness.
So probably not good on a work top.

Did I mention the guy who invented a universal solvent then couldn't find
anything to keep it in?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 24, 4:44*pm, Dave wrote:
I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

Dave

Nothing kills all Germs. Germs is an inexact term, means nothing.
Bacteria can be killed by chemicals or heat or radiation.
Some bacteria, when life becomes difficult, turn into a spore (almost
like hibernating) and are then very hard to kill. Tetanus and gangrene
for example which is why they are so serious.

Disinfecting kills non-sporing organisms.
Sterilising kills, theoretically, all life.
Pasteurising kills targeted organisms.

However with all forms of streilisation there is a "death
curve" (time versus the process) which never reaches zero. ie some
will always escape.

Household disinfectants are pretty ineffective and what effect they
have lasts only a short time. Phenol based ones can be dangerous as
they oxidise to something that supports some bacteria. They should be
washed off after use.
Chlorine base dones cease to be effective when they have evaporated.
They are totally ineffective on dirty surfaces.
Most are a complete waste of money, better effects can be achieved by
cleaning with normal household cleaners. There are no short cuts. But
there's plenty of ******** out there.
The very idea that you can kill all bacteria is ridiculous. We need
some to live.
20% of garden soil is bacteria. 10% of your wieght is bacteria. You
are covered in them inside and out. Your house is full of them. The
air is filled with them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 24, 10:54*pm, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

I keep seeing adverts that state that the product kills 99.9% of germs
dead. What can't we have a product that kills them all, like Screen?

Dave

IIRC it is (or at least used to be) 99.9% of KNOWN germs.
So it was always the unknown germs that used to worry me.

Merry festive season of choice to you all

Dave R

99.999% of "germs" are unknown.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article
,
harry wrote:
[snip sensible comments]

The very idea that you can kill all
bacteria is ridiculous. We need some to live.

The main reason MRSA is a modern hospital problem is because
anti-biotics have killed off other bugs that would normally
keep MRSA under control

20% of
garden soil is bacteria. 10% of your wieght is bacteria.
You are covered in them inside and out. Your house is
full of them. The air is filled with them.

.. . .and many of them are responsible for keeping you
healthy without having to buy them in yoghurt drinks

--
John Mulrooney

A person who is not forgotten is not dead
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 27, 12:52*pm, JTM wrote:
In article
,
* *harry wrote:
[snip sensible comments]

The very idea that you can kill all
bacteria is ridiculous. We need some to live.

The main reason MRSA is a modern hospital problem is because
anti-biotics have killed off other bugs that *would normally
keep MRSA under control

20% of
garden soil is bacteria. 10% of your wieght is bacteria.
You are covered in them inside and out. Your house is
full of them. The air is filled with them.

. . .and many of them are responsible for keeping you
healthy without having to buy them in yoghurt drinks

--
*John Mulrooney

A person who is not forgotten is not dead

The main reason for the likes of MRSA and Cdifficul is the
indiscriminate use of antibiotics in the past. Also th failure of
people to complete their antibiotic courses, so leaving behind the
survivor bacteria which thus gradually built up their resistance.
However we are/were discussing household "disinfectants".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

What's 'Screen'?

It is an acidic cleaner used in hospitals and the school I used to work
at. It claims to kill MRSA and another hospital bug I can't bring to my
alcohol washed brain at the moment.

That doesn't mean that it kills all germs. It's not even a particularly
effective biocide. It is, however, yet another product trading on
ignorance and fear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

but it's all ******** anyway, your food is covered in
bacteria, unless you soak it in domestos first, and there are more bacteria
in the body than there are human cells, so you could say we are just a
collection of bacteria that has managed to walk upright and tell jokes.

The reasons for stating the last is because it's more or less an
accurate portrayal of any eukaryote. The more one studies eukaryotic
cells the more they look like a bunch of bacteria that have struck a
truce and agreed to work together.

More dead in Mexican Drug war in 3 yrs....5 x the number of dead in Iraq/Aghanistan Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 1 April 27th 10 05:57 AM
Dead die Michael Koblic Metalworking 12 April 30th 08 03:33 AM
is my $3,000 lcd tv dead? pete.nicks Electronics Repair 39 December 5th 07 04:04 AM
Panasonic G520 mobile phone - dead battery or dead phone? Just Allan Electronics Repair 0 July 18th 05 01:27 PM
Ceiling fans simply pull toilet odors and airborne germs up into the air Bill Berdux Home Repair 11 January 6th 04 03:22 PM