Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default A troubling Christmas - metal/mental related

"Steve B" wrote:

I was just sent a cell phone picture of my two grandsons, five and seven, on
their new Christmas present, an ATV.

I am very troubled by this, having expressed my feelings on this heretofore,
and knowing that the strong willed son-in-law would do whatever the **** he
wanted, thank you very much for your input months ago.

I broke my back two years ago on an ATV, and I'm an adult. I was doing
something stupid, and got caught. But we ride in some very remote rough
areas. We have since toned down our riding to just putt putt old fart
stuff.

These two had a little electric John Deere atv that was even rated for
children older than they were when they got it, four and two IIRC. They,
and their Mom and Grandma, insisted that it was okay for both to ride at the
same time, so one of the motors burned out recently, and that was all she
wrote. In the meantime, they would not follow instructions on where or
where not to ride, wearing helmets, or using the safety strap for the second
rider. They were constantly getting stuck in places they were told not to
ride.

I feel for you Steve. A few years ago, kid at work's younger brother died on a atv, too
much throttle, too little experience. Life grades hard when an internal combustion engine
is involved.

About the only thing I can suggest is you load up your atv and teach these kids some
skills and acquaint them of the dangers.

I hope you are not prescient in reguards to this.

Wes

My heart is heavy this Christmas.

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller