Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Metal / plastic interface cracking

In article ,
Winston wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Steve Ackman wrote:
, on Sat, 25 Dec 2010 08:06:59 -0800,
Winston, wrote:

Can anyone tell me how I can avoid this?

Use a coffee grinder instead of a coffee basher?
;-)

Help, Sir Coffee!

Is this one all right?
http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.as...K=&SLT=&mscssi
d=T
399V5FNF5FH8H0KXMCTXNK6UPGJE3F4

Can you recommend a better unit?

According to a Consumer Reports article some years ago, burr grinders
work very well, especially for making a fine grind for expresso, but
need a lot of cleaning to keep rancid coffee oil flavors.

We use a Krups Fast Touch Coffee Grinder, which is oval and of the
impact type, and have not had problems with cracking. I recall that the
broken grinder was not oval, and the cracks formed at the corners.

It's a trick of perspective. I shot the picture along the
long axis of the oval.

http://www.krupsonlinestore.com/prod...203-42&MENU=gr
inders&SELECT=&SKW=krugrind

They retail for $13 to $18, so one does not repair them. Not that it's
been needed, and the current one is at least ten years old.

Yup. Our old one lasted many years.
It's become sluggish, prompting the replacement.

For now, we are back using the old one and the new one is
in the garbage can.

Maybe it *is* worth fixing the old one, if the new ones are built
pre-busted.

I bet the sluggishness is due to dirty bearings or the like. Or
congealed coffee oils. A disassembly, cleaning, and oiling may be the
charm.

But I would return the busted new one, just to be a pill.

Joe Gwinn.