BRuce

Default Source For Large Diameter Threaded Dowel??

Woodcraft has the taps and thread boxes. I have the 1 1/2" set and have
used it for a adjustable stool post. The threadbox takes a little tuning
but the results are good, depending on the material.

the taps work just fine right out of the box. I did a short test bolt
and a "pine nut" that I keep on my desk at work as a conversation piece.
the concept of wooden threads seems to elude most people almost as if
there never was anything not made of metal!

BRuce

this link may not work, just do a site search on wood thread
http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/...697BA582C9E89E

daryl1138 wrote:

Does anyone know of a source for large diameter 1-1/2"+ threaded
dowels. All my search has turned up so far are the Beall jigs. This
would work but I only need a foot or two and the jigs are pricey.
Harbor freight has a cheaper unit but it's only 1" and...well...it's
harbor freight. Shop-made thread box (such as in the Workbench Book)
is a bit beyond my capability as yet. I'd just as soon buy the dowel
(and nut) already made.

Thanks in advance.
Daryl

PS: If it matters this is to be used in a bench vise.

--
---

BRuce