Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Metal / plastic interface cracking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
fired this volley in
:

So my intuition about an elastomer gasket
wasn't too far off then, aye?

Excellent! Thanks Lloyd.

Winston, you have mentioned the "other alternative".

Instead of holes, grommets, and bolts, some applications have a channel
frame all-round the work with a u-channel-shaped gasket capturing the
edge of the plastic sheet.

The only problem with this method for the 'ordinary' shop guy is getting
gasket and frame material that will match up with one-another and the
thickness of the plastic.

I had a very similar challenge sealing the end of a
30 gallon HDPE drum to the inside of a cylindrical plastic
flange. The application did not require a lot of strength.

After I cleaned and degreased both pieces, I assembled
them and flipped them 'opening down'. I poured some
castable elastomer into the gap between the inside
of the flange and the outside of the drum.

It worked a treat!

The elastomer was just 'runny' enough to find and seal
the gap between the two cylinders, without leaking out
of the gap. It was this stuff IIRC:
http://www.devcon.com/products/produ...amily=FlexaneŽ
80 Liquid

I expect that one could pour this stuff into a machined
mold to create a gasket of just about any shape, too.

--Winston