Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default Metal / plastic interface cracking

On Dec 25, 10:06*am, Winston wrote:
Can anyone tell me how I can avoid this?

I want to design a part using the same
kind of metal - to - plastic interface as on
the Krups 203-70 coffee bean grinders but I
want to avoid the cracks in the corners.

If it gets posted it will be:http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...KrupsKrack.txt

Will this require say, a compliant adhesive
gasket between my metal surface and the
inside of the plastic reservoir or is this flaw
primarily caused by a different problem, say
a mixing issue that causes the plastic to be
really brittle?

Thanks!

--Winston

It could be a material problem or maybe the part that broke was
designed to use the minimum amount of plastic necessary in order to
cut manufacturing costs. You could try your hand at plastic welding,
maybe with a small soldering iron and proper tip. Another possibility
might be solvent welding if it’s made of PVC. I’ll bet that the part
wouldn’t have broken if the sections were thick enough.