Swingman

Default Question about rust

"Silvan" wrote in message
Mike in Mystic wrote:

You already know about thick castings and increased humidity and stuff.

Now
think about a fan.

A fan might not be the sole solution in every climate, but it can be a big
part of the solution in many. It's just too simple, and cheap, a solution
for most folks to take seriously ... until they try it.

Other than the occasional coat of Topcote, a fan running 24/7 is the only
rust prevention solution I need. I've been in this particular shop, in a
high humidity, rapid change in temperature climate, for over two years. Fan,
mounted high on one wall and blowing across shop, runs 24/7, NO rust on any
tool surface whatsoever.

Just cleaned rust off the tools, for the third time, in a shop for a lady
friend who no longer has a husband. She has the shop and tools rented out,
but the lessee has yet to take possession. The shop is less than two miles
from mine (and drier overall because mine gets water in around the edges
when it rains heavily), and her cast iron surfaces rust constantly ...
difference between her shop and mine: NO fan.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/23/04