Wilson

Default Question about rust

A classmate of mine told me that soaking small rusted items (drill,
mortising bits) in coca cola for about 2 weeks will break the rust free. I
haven't tried it yet. I did acquire about $1,500 worth of tools for $200
last summer from a former workmate who was liquidating his father's old
tools. Many of the small drill bits and metal parts of the larger tools had
rust. We tried navel jelly with no success. Some parts are too small use
steel wool. any suggestions?

"Silvan" wrote in message
Mike in Mystic wrote:

condensation would preferentially occur there. Has anyone else
experienced this kind of thing?

You already know about thick castings and increased humidity and stuff.

Now
think about a fan. I've had a cheap box fan running 24/7 in my shop,
moving the air around, since last fall. High humidity, low humidity, high
temperatures (up to 120 F inside the shop) and low (down somewhere below
10) I haven't had anything rust except for stuff that's been kept out of
the moving airstream.

Granted, I don't have any big iron in my shop, but I'm still impressed

with
the efficacy of this inexpensive prophylactic. I used to have to wax
*everything* frequently. Every chisel, every screwdriver, every saw
blade... Rust was a severe problem.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/