Phisherman

Default Question about rust

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:39:30 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"
wrote:

Hi again,

Well, I just posted about my pleasant table saw tuning experience, so I have
to offset that with a bit of a frustration.

snip
Mike

1. Water is the most common catalyst of rust.
2. Rust requires oxygen.
2. Moisture moves away from warmer temperatures and toward cooler
temperatures.

You can use these facts to protect your equipment. Keep your shop as
dry as possible. Keep your iron surfaces protected with some kind of
coating. Place a 4 watt lightbulb inside or under your cast iron
tables, just enough heat to make the temperature higher than the
surrounding area. Burning kerosene, propane, wood, or combustion of
any kind in the shop produces moisture--Infrared lamps or electric
heat is better at keeping your shop dry.