CobraPilot

Default Source For Large Diameter Threaded Dowel??

Mike Dunbar wrote an article for Fine Woodworking Tools & Shops special
issue (Winter 2001/2002, No 153) in which he described building a workbench
with wooden vice screws. The screws were pruchased from Crystal Creek Mill,
PO Box 41, DeWitt, NY 13214, Telephone (315) 446-1229. Contact Howard, he
has or can make just about any size screws and nuts you want.

"daryl1138" wrote in message
m...
Does anyone know of a source for large diameter 1-1/2"+ threaded
dowels. All my search has turned up so far are the Beall jigs. This
would work but I only need a foot or two and the jigs are pricey.
Harbor freight has a cheaper unit but it's only 1" and...well...it's
harbor freight. Shop-made thread box (such as in the Workbench Book)
is a bit beyond my capability as yet. I'd just as soon buy the dowel
(and nut) already made.

Thanks in advance.
Daryl

PS: If it matters this is to be used in a bench vise.