Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Christmas tree lights

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message
,
writes
On Dec 22, 7:37*pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
Somebody has to ask this question:-)

Multi function filament bulb set. Chinese manufacture (in case you
wondered) fuse OK but no lights. Appear to be well made.

Control box is sealed and has a single pushbutton to select the
operation. Is there any point in forcing the box open in the hope of
by-passing the electronics?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Assuming it's the common type of box I'm thinking of, prise off the
flap at the bottom, which is held at the sides by clips that will
probably break. Open carefully unless you want the fun of working out
which green wire came from where. Beneath the flap you will find the
wires connect via little tubular sockets to a row of pins. The
connections often come loose despite being held by blobs of
silicone.The mechanism that grips the wires also has a tendency to
slice through them. If no lights at all are on, it's probably the
power wires that are at fault, (or the wallwart's duff). With the pins
exposed you can easily check. Beware of shorting pins together as that
can kill the electronics.

Sounds likely. We have two sets with identical symptoms.

The controller is referred as *light chain control box* and presumably
the manufacturer as YIN YU.

OK. Back off.

All connections look sound so it must be the 'lectronics.

180 bulbs at 6V spread across 5 connections. So that's a common and 4
lots of 45?

So which is the common? Ah! I see the requirement and use of the
multimeter:-)

Hmmm.... All 4 circuits are open! I suppose it only takes 4 bulbs to
fail.... I wonder if Wyvale had many returns?

Shame really as the assembly job is very good. The purchasing dept.
spent too little on getting reliable bulbs:-(

regards

--
Tim Lamb