Edwin Pawlowski

Default Question about rust

Mike in Mystic wrote:

Last week I had to do the same thing to my jointer (the 6" Delta
professional). The only thing different was the amount and severity
of the rust. The jointer had some pretty thick rust and it was on
just about every cast iron surface on the tool. It took me a LOT of
effort to remove it, even though the table saw and jointer had sat
idle about the same amount of time.
Does this make any sense?? It sure explains why the jointer is
suffering the most from rust, but I don't really get why the jointer
surfaces would be so much colder than the rest of the tools, which is
the only reason condensation would preferentially occur there. Has
anyone else experienced this kind of thing?
Mike

I think it has more to do with the mass of the castings rather than just the
temperature. The jointer is probably taking longer to heat up. two weeks
ago I turned on the hat and went back to the house to let it warm up. When
I returned, the tablesawy had a coating of ice on top from the condensation.
At that point, I cleaned it up, turned off the heat, and read a book
instead of woodworking. Going from a minus zero to working comfort just is
not happening. I'm not trying tomorrow either. -4 expected tonight.
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome