Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Soluble oil

When studying Geology - mostly Gulf Coast Stratigraphic studies used
by industry - I had use of a large slab saw. It had a 48" diamond
circular blade and a large vise. It used 50 gallons of soluble oil.

One time, the oil salesman suggested a different kind. It wasn't milk
like when mixed - more clear - slightly yellow. (suspected sulfur).

Anyway, once it mixed with rock dust - it gelled. We can in the next
Monday - and the tray was a solid Jello mass. We wondered if we got
some bad stuff for us. Once we fired up the big saw - the movement
liquefied it.

Martin

On 12/19/2010 7:58 PM, engineman wrote:

I built a 12" scale steam locomotive years ago and now I'm working on
a steam powered cycle.
When I bought the castings ETC for the loco I bought several quarts of
soluble (or steam cylinder) oil which was recommended. It seems that
this oil has been used from time immemorial for steam engines.
Now I am running low and wondering what if I was to use ordinary
lubricating oil? My locomotive has a pump lubricator and the cycle a
displacement lubricator.
The reason that I am considering this is that I've put a feedwater
heater on the cycle and I'd like to reuse the condensate that comes
out of the heater. I would like to put it into a column made of
plastic pipe and drain the distilled water out the bottom but I find
that with the soluble oil it does not separate well enough.
Any thoughts?

Engineman

http://home.comcast.net/~engineman69