Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Soluble oil

I built a 12" scale steam locomotive years ago and now I'm working on
a steam powered cycle.
When I bought the castings ETC for the loco I bought several quarts of
soluble (or steam cylinder) oil which was recommended. It seems that
this oil has been used from time immemorial for steam engines.
Now I am running low and wondering what if I was to use ordinary
lubricating oil? My locomotive has a pump lubricator and the cycle a
displacement lubricator.
The reason that I am considering this is that I've put a feedwater
heater on the cycle and I'd like to reuse the condensate that comes
out of the heater. I would like to put it into a column made of
plastic pipe and drain the distilled water out the bottom but I find
that with the soluble oil it does not separate well enough.
Any thoughts?

Engineman

http://home.comcast.net/~engineman69
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't know what the oil is, but didn't you also build a steam powered
bicycle years ago?

I did see the trike shown on your homepage.

--
WB

"engineman" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Call John York; he sells it by the gallon for steamboaters.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 19, 7:58*pm, engineman wrote:
[...]

From what I’ve read, water soluble oils have emulsifiers (detergents)
to make them mix with water. Without them you probably run the risk
of the lubricant not working properly, however that makes them also
difficult to separate.

Here’s something that I found on DIY formulations: http://tinyurl.com/25jz85e
There’s also this supplier (if you don’t already know):
http://www.steamenginelube.com/ordership.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don't muck up thousands of hours of work by
using the wrong thing.

http://www.steamenginelube.com/order...pon320_pricing

engineman wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's the same one, I've been evolving it over the years.
I've switched to a Reil burner, added a feedwater heater, a third
wheel and larger water pumps.
My next task will be to update my website.

"engineman" wrote in message

[...]

http://home.comcast.net/~engineman69- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When studying Geology - mostly Gulf Coast Stratigraphic studies used
by industry - I had use of a large slab saw. It had a 48" diamond
circular blade and a large vise. It used 50 gallons of soluble oil.

One time, the oil salesman suggested a different kind. It wasn't milk
like when mixed - more clear - slightly yellow. (suspected sulfur).

Anyway, once it mixed with rock dust - it gelled. We can in the next
Monday - and the tray was a solid Jello mass. We wondered if we got
some bad stuff for us. Once we fired up the big saw - the movement
liquefied it.

Martin