Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Generac Guardian Generators

Ignoramus30024 wrote:

On 2010-12-20, Pete C. wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 11:00:03 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 08:03:31 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Its a life taker if you do.

That's the claim, however I've yet to find any incident report that
supports that claim. In every "lineman killed by improperly connected
generator" report I've read (and I've read quite a few) the ultimate
cause of the incident and fatality was the lineman failing to follow
their mandatory procedures and ground the line before working on it.

No...the ultimate cause of the fatality was some yutz not disconnecting
from the main while running a generator.

Cites? I've read numerous OSHA accident reports and not one supported
that conclusion.

http://www.electricenergyonline.com/..._news&id=38786

Oddly enough..that was right at the top of the google search list...

Sorry, but that in no way supports you claim and is also not an OSHA
report. There is no "supposed to be dead" in the lineman's handbook,
there is only "tested and grounded before working bare handed", a
mandatory procedure that will prevent injury in *all* generator back
feed cases as well as the many cases of poor coordination between line
crews.

I am not sure what it means "reportedly".

He was working on a high voltage power line, did not ground himself,
and was "reportedly" killed by a generator? Which supplied the entire
HV line and its customers?

Could it be the power company that accidentally energized the line
that was not grounded, trying to shift blame to an unknown
"homeowner"?

I think you misread what I wrote. The news piece (not OSHA incident
report) that was referenced indicated that the lineman was electrocuted
working on a line that "was supposed to be dead". I pointed out that
there is no "supposed to be dead" in the power lineman's handbook, there
is a clear "test and ground before working bared handed" procedure in
said power lineman's handbook.

This "test and ground before working bared handed" procedure requires
testing with a voltmeter, and then solidly grounding the line to be
worked on, all performed with full hot line gear, before the lineman is
allowed to work on the line bare handed.

Following this procedure which is mandatory under all utility and OSHA
rules will prevent injury 100% of the time. A line that is solidly
grounded will not go live regardless of what occurs down the line. If
the lineman was injured, he was injured due to his failure to follow
this mandatory procedure, the source of the electrons that injured him,
be they from a private generator or the utility's generator is
irrelevant.