Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default Soluble oil

On Dec 19, 7:58*pm, engineman wrote:
I built a 12" scale steam locomotive years ago and now I'm working on
a steam powered cycle.
When I bought the castings ETC for the loco I bought several quarts of
soluble (or steam cylinder) oil which was recommended. It seems that
this oil has been used from time immemorial for steam engines.
Now I am running low and wondering what if I was to use ordinary
lubricating oil? My locomotive has a pump lubricator and the cycle a
displacement lubricator.
The reason that I am considering this is that I've put a feedwater
heater on the cycle and *I'd like to reuse the condensate that comes
out of the heater. I would like to put it into a column made of
plastic pipe and drain the distilled water out the bottom but I find
that with the soluble oil it does not separate well enough.
Any thoughts?

Engineman

http://home.comcast.net/~engineman69

From what I’ve read, water soluble oils have emulsifiers (detergents)
to make them mix with water. Without them you probably run the risk
of the lubricant not working properly, however that makes them also
difficult to separate.

Here’s something that I found on DIY formulations: http://tinyurl.com/25jz85e
There’s also this supplier (if you don’t already know):
http://www.steamenginelube.com/ordership.htm