Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Insulating a loft hatch

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 15:08:57 -0800 (PST), geraldthehamster wrote:

On 19 Dec, 18:23, Dave Starling wrote:
On Dec 19, 3:39*pm, geraldthehamster wrote:

Two enhancements - if it's not heavy enough to sit properly you could
add some timber to it; a soft roll of something fixed to the bottom
edge would prevent draughts getting under it.

Good idea. I had to make a similar hood for to go over my loft hatch
as the wooden drop down ladder protrudes about 150mm above the loft
floor. If you don't cover the celotex with something you end up with
foam snowing down whenever you move it. I ended up spray gluing
breathable roofing membrane to the celotex. It sort of works. There
are still draughts around the bottom so I need to take your advice and
create a seal. I wondered about making a small upstand lip around the
edge of the opening which the hood sits into. I am wary of this as it
might be a trip hazard when going up and down the ladder.

Dave.

Foam spraying down - Christ yes, use foil-backed, the non-foil Celotex
and Kingspan is horrible. I used some non-foil Kingspan to insulate my
rafters, because it was cheap from Seconds and Co (obviously I used
foiled over, for a vapour barrier). We christened it FPS, for f******
pink ****e, because it got everywhere when you cut it and trod on the
bits. All over your clothes and everything

Cheers
Richard

Ah, a bit like a super version of some packaging foam that sticks little
bits of white stuff all over dark clothing.
If I go with this method - and it's looking the least intrusive - I'll
probably use thin ply and make a double-wall box, so the Celotex is fully
enclosed.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away