Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
engineman engineman is offline

Default Soluble oil

I built a 12" scale steam locomotive years ago and now I'm working on
a steam powered cycle.
When I bought the castings ETC for the loco I bought several quarts of
soluble (or steam cylinder) oil which was recommended. It seems that
this oil has been used from time immemorial for steam engines.
Now I am running low and wondering what if I was to use ordinary
lubricating oil? My locomotive has a pump lubricator and the cycle a
displacement lubricator.
The reason that I am considering this is that I've put a feedwater
heater on the cycle and I'd like to reuse the condensate that comes
out of the heater. I would like to put it into a column made of
plastic pipe and drain the distilled water out the bottom but I find
that with the soluble oil it does not separate well enough.
Any thoughts?

Engineman

http://home.comcast.net/~engineman69