Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerry[_2_] Gerry[_2_] is offline

Default Generac Guardian Generators

On Dec 19, 8:18*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 23:01:11 -0700, Laurie Forbes

wrote:
On 12/18/2010 9:04 PM, Gerry wrote:
On Dec 18, 8:57 pm, Laurie *wrote:
Would appreciate any comments, good or bad, on the Generac Guardian
series of stationary propane/nat gas generators (we are looking at the
14& *17KW sizes).

Thanks for any assistance.........

Laurie Forbes

Before you *commit I suggest you do some number crunching as to what
it will cost to run a nat gas generator for, say a week's power outage
and compare this to what it would cost with a gas or diesel engine. I
did and found that that running my house off my Miller gas welding
machine was a lot cheaper in the long run, plus I had a welding
machine to boot

It surprises me that a diesel or gas gen would cost less to run than
natural gas as nat gas is a lot cheaper (on a BTU basis). *In any case,
we want auto start/stop and don't want to mess with liquid fuels if
possible. *The specific circumstances also require idiot proofness.

Does anyone know what the certainty is of the natural gas supply to
continue uninterrupted during a week+long region-wide power outage?
There's lots of capacity in the pipeline, but...
1) how long will that last
2) what kind of backup power systems do they have for it
and
3) is it Obama/FEMA-proof?

--
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country
against his government." * * * * * * * --Edward Abbey

I have gas heat , gas HWH and stove and BBQ grill. Never have I lost
natural gas in any of the hurricanes I have been through. Nat gas
seems to be a pretty stable supply. Much better than gas or diesel.
When the last hurricane was coming through, I planned ahead and filled
a 55 gallon drum with gas. Obama proof? Nothing on the face of the
earth is FEMA and Obama proof