Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Starling Dave Starling is offline

Default Insulating a loft hatch

On Dec 19, 3:39*pm, geraldthehamster wrote:

Two enhancements - if it's not heavy enough to sit properly you could
add some timber to it; a soft roll of something fixed to the bottom
edge would prevent draughts getting under it.

Good idea. I had to make a similar hood for to go over my loft hatch
as the wooden drop down ladder protrudes about 150mm above the loft
floor. If you don't cover the celotex with something you end up with
foam snowing down whenever you move it. I ended up spray gluing
breathable roofing membrane to the celotex. It sort of works. There
are still draughts around the bottom so I need to take your advice and
create a seal. I wondered about making a small upstand lip around the
edge of the opening which the hood sits into. I am wary of this as it
might be a trip hazard when going up and down the ladder.

Dave.