Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Drilling 1.5 mm holes in 6 mm stainless rods?

On 18 Dec 2010 06:25:36 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2010-12-16, Chris Wilson wrote:
I need to make a fair number of 6 mm OD stainless steel pins to take 1 mm
OD R clips. I want to drill the rods near one end with a 1.5 mm hole for
the R clips. I have a Bridgeport universal mill

I'm not familiar with R clips, FWIW.

AKA hairpin clips.
http://fasteners.hardwarestore.com/1...s--607526.aspx

It really calls for a small lathe -- and likely something like a
Taig or Sherline might get the speeds right. And I know that the Taig
has a spindle available for WW series collets, which are commonly
available in metric sizes in 0.1 mm steps.

A lathe would be more appropriate for axial holes. The OP needs radial
holes.

--
Ned Simmons