Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drilling 1.5 mm holes in 6 mm stainless rods?

I need to make a fair number of 6 mm OD stainless steel pins to take 1 mm
OD R clips. I want to drill the rods near one end with a 1.5 mm hole for
the R clips. I have a Bridgeport universal mill and a decent drill press. I
have pin drill chucks to taske small drill bits. What's the best way to
drill say 50 of these pins with good efficiency and little chance of
breaking drill bits in them please? Best bits to use? Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 16, 4:19*pm, Chris Wilson wrote:
I need to make a fair number of 6 mm OD stainless steel pins to take 1 mm
OD R clips. I want to drill the rods near one end with a 1.5 mm hole for
the R clips. I have a Bridgeport universal mill and a decent drill press. I
have pin drill chucks to taske small drill bits. What's the best way to
drill say 50 of these pins with good efficiency and little chance of
breaking drill bits in them please? Best bits to use? Thanks.

Carpenter Tech has a web site with a book on Machining Stainless
Steel. That is probably not the exact title.
Anyway they have a whole chapter on drilling stainless steel. Worth
reading. And worth reading before you get the stainless rods so you
can see what the relative problems are between grades of stainless.

Stainless likes more clearance than regular steel and it work
hardens. So never take real light cuts.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 21:19:01 +0000, Chris Wilson
wrote:

I need to make a fair number of 6 mm OD stainless steel pins to take 1 mm
OD R clips. I want to drill the rods near one end with a 1.5 mm hole for
the R clips. I have a Bridgeport universal mill and a decent drill press. I
have pin drill chucks to taske small drill bits. What's the best way to
drill say 50 of these pins with good efficiency and little chance of
breaking drill bits in them please? Best bits to use? Thanks.

The most important thing is to use type a free machining grade of SS.
Type 303 if you want a 300 series material.

If you want even easier go to
http://us.misumi-ec.com/us/ItemDetail/10300095140.html,
pick the CAD configurator tab, then the "L Dimension Configurable -
Fixed " dropdown, and specify the length and material for your parts.
$1.20 each for 6mm SS.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
I need to make a fair number of 6 mm OD stainless steel pins to take 1 mm
OD R clips. I want to drill the rods near one end with a 1.5 mm hole for
the R clips. I have a Bridgeport universal mill and a decent drill press.
have pin drill chucks to taske small drill bits. What's the best way to
drill say 50 of these pins with good efficiency and little chance of
breaking drill bits in them please? Best bits to use? Thanks.

I guess you might already know this but... Use coolant. Oil if you can.
The moment the drill is dry, it is done.

If you have that many to do, may even build a little "clay" dam around the
part and submerge it in coolant because your hole is a bit deep for a simple
bursh-on or spray on coolant to work at 4 x the diameter.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I need to make a fair number of 6 mm OD stainless steel pins to take 1 mm
OD R clips. I want to drill the rods near one end with a 1.5 mm hole for
the R clips. I have a Bridgeport universal mill and a decent drill press. I
have pin drill chucks to taske small drill bits. What's the best way to
drill say 50 of these pins with good efficiency and little chance of
breaking drill bits in them please? Best bits to use? Thanks.

===========
Given that you have 50 of these parts to make, I suggest
making some sort of fixture to hold the pin with drill
guidance to avoid breakage as the drill is sure to want to
"walk." If you are careful drilling the drill hole in the
fixture you most likely won't need to use a drill bushing,
although these are cheap and allow you to change drill size.
for example. A quality HSS or Cobalt 135 degree point screw
machine drill will most likely give you the best results.
The 135 degree point will minimize walking and the shorter
screw machine length will reduce drill flex. For some ideas
see
http://www.carrlane.com/Catalog/inde...3C3B28535A405A
http://www.broncotool.com/drill-bush...FcXD7Qod8mrVmA
http://www.acmeindustrial.com/MetricPlainPressFit.htm

You may also want to consider using drill bushings to locate
the pin in the fixture if different pin sizes are possible.

Another possibility is to adapt a v block to both clamp the
pin and locate the drill bushing. Something like the Versa
clamp but with two bridges. One to locate the drill bushing
and one to hold the clamp screw.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=394&PMCTLG=00

My suggestion is to use the Bridgeport, with the fixture in
the mill vise, coolant if possible or at least a solder
brush and lots of cutting oil, never let the drill rub as
most grades of stainless are *VERY* prone to rapid work
hardening -- use the automatic quill feed if possible. Be
sure to lock the table and that every thing is
square/aligned.

Let the group know what you decide and how you make out.

Where are you located?

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 16, 1:19*pm, Chris Wilson wrote:
I need to make a fair number of 6 mm OD stainless steel pins to take 1 mm
OD R clips. I want to drill the rods near one end with a 1.5 mm hole

Make a jig that consists of a steel block with a hole to fit your
pins,
hacksaw slotted so it tightens in the mill vise. The jig
will have to attach firmly to the fixed jaw, of course.
Use heavy-duty cobalt drills, sharp ones.
Drill the pilot hole in the jig with centering as
accurate as you can manage, using a center drill to
start it. Then, produce pins.

Cooling is going to be mainly by conduction to the work,
lubrication is key, and NEVER slack off the drill pressure
while in the hole.

The RPM will be critical; for 1.5mm, you'll want something
in the 2000 - 4000 RPM range (this is fast for a big drill, but is
kinda
slow for this small one).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--You don't say how long the pins are but if they're long enough you
can do a setup with soft jaws on the mill: clamp the jaws on a piece of shim
stock, drill a 6mm hole, remove shim and clamp pin. Now make an 'external'
drill bushing; i.e. a shallow 6mm hole in one end and your 1.5mm hole
straight thru. Put a handle on it so it won't spin. Plunk bushing on top of
pin and drill away.
--I have a production job where I have to drill and tap both ends of
6" long 1/4" dia stainless rods and this is a *lot* faster than doing it in
a lathe. I do it on a drillpress with a 5-C collet closer because length of
rods is more than range of Z travel on the mill when running the Tapmatic
but you get the idea.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-16, Chris Wilson wrote:
I need to make a fair number of 6 mm OD stainless steel pins to take 1 mm
OD R clips. I want to drill the rods near one end with a 1.5 mm hole for
the R clips. I have a Bridgeport universal mill

You have a *what*? I didn't think that Bridgeport ever made a
universal mill (X-axis table swivels). Perhaps you mean a *vertical*
mill?

and a decent drill press. I
have pin drill chucks to taske small drill bits. What's the best way to
drill say 50 of these pins with good efficiency and little chance of
breaking drill bits in them please? Best bits to use? Thanks.

The best way in my mind requires tools which you have not
listed. Don't you have a lathe? Ideally with collets to fit the 6mm
pins. Fairly high spindle speed suggest a smaller lathe, which probably
means 3C collets or even down to WW collets.

I'm not familiar with R clips, FWIW.

Even something like 150 SFM would take 9700 RPM, which is rather
high for either the mill or most drill presses, except for a sensitive
drill press.

And *which* stainless steel? Some are fairly easy to work,
others are quite nasty. Looking at an old Jorgensen steel
catalog/handbook, I see SFMs for Stainless steel running from 75 to 160.
For a couple of samples:

# SFM RPM
=======================
303 100 6468
304 75 4851
316 70 4527
416 160 10348

So -- can your mill or drill press get that kind of spindle
speed? How about half of that speed?

It really calls for a small lathe -- and likely something like a
Taig or Sherline might get the speeds right. And I know that the Taig
has a spindle available for WW series collets, which are commonly
available in metric sizes in 0.1 mm steps.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 18 Dec 2010 06:25:36 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2010-12-16, Chris Wilson wrote:
I need to make a fair number of 6 mm OD stainless steel pins to take 1 mm
OD R clips. I want to drill the rods near one end with a 1.5 mm hole for
the R clips. I have a Bridgeport universal mill

I'm not familiar with R clips, FWIW.

AKA hairpin clips.
http://fasteners.hardwarestore.com/1...s--607526.aspx

It really calls for a small lathe -- and likely something like a
Taig or Sherline might get the speeds right. And I know that the Taig
has a spindle available for WW series collets, which are commonly
available in metric sizes in 0.1 mm steps.

A lathe would be more appropriate for axial holes. The OP needs radial
holes.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-16, Chris Wilson wrote:
I need to make a fair number of 6 mm OD stainless steel pins to take 1 mm
OD R clips. I want to drill the rods near one end with a 1.5 mm hole for
the R clips. I have a Bridgeport universal mill

I'm not familiar with R clips, FWIW.

AKA hairpin clips.
http://fasteners.hardwarestore.com/1...s--607526.aspx

Aha! The holes are transverse not centered on axis. Forget my
suggestions, then -- other than perhaps the speed suggestions.

It really calls for a small lathe -- and likely something like a
Taig or Sherline might get the speeds right. And I know that the Taig
has a spindle available for WW series collets, which are commonly
available in metric sizes in 0.1 mm steps.

A lathe would be more appropriate for axial holes. The OP needs radial
holes.

Agreed. A nice small sensitive drill press would be a good
choice here -- for example the ones made by Cameron Precision. (Except
that they have gone way up in price since I got mine for $149.00 back
around 1972 or so.

And given that you are drilling into a curved surface you will
probably want some kind of drill guide. A simple one, if you are
holding the workpiece in a vise, is made by using a lathe to drill the
same size hole through the center of some stock of the same diameter,
part it off, put the workpiece horizontally in the vise, and lay the
parted piece on top like a checker, tighten the vise, and drill through
using the existing hole as a guide. You probably should put some shirt
cardboard (cereal box cardboard, or something similar) between the
moving jaw and the workpiece and "checker" to prevent slipping and to
adjust to slight differences in diameter. (Replace it often as it gets
crushed, of course.)

A good drill bit for the task would be a high cobalt steel screw
machine drill bit (shorter, thus less flex) with a split point (doesn't
generate as much wandering force so it starts on center better, and it
cuts to the center instead of mashing material out of the way like the
standard chisel-point drill bits tend to do.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Drilling Peg holes dnoyeB Woodworking 9 February 9th 06 10:32 PM
stainless rods roberto Metalworking 3 May 23rd 05 01:00 AM
Drilling 21/32" holes in blown-out 5/8-11 holes Tom Gardner Metalworking 10 November 29th 04 09:37 AM
drilling 1" (or so) holes knob Metalworking 27 August 10th 04 04:01 AM
Stainless steel rods Lawrence Zarb UK diy 23 July 29th 04 06:56 PM