Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Insulating a loft hatch

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 13:55:24 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:

I've a largish hatch with the ladder mounted on it. It's 1100x700mm, so a
good source of overhead cooling :-( it's this one more or less:

http://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers....adder_-_1100mm
_x_700mm.html

Now, I can't afford to lose any depth behind the treads - in fact, could do
with more - as me feets too big, so the simple method of sticking on 50mm of
insulation is out.

The only other way I can think of is to insulate the underside, but that
means a lump sticking down from the ceiling!

Normally a loft hatch is recessed so it's above ceiling height. Are you
saying that this is not the case when there's a ladder - and in your
particular case?

I've fitted 2 loft ladders, one being the standard fold-into-the-loft type
and the other mine and in each case the instructions showed the bottom of
the hatch flush with the ceiling. The edging frame is meant to be on the
ceiling and the lower edge of the carcass.

This year I've insulated two loft hatches here. I bought a (IIRC 2"
thick) sheet of celotex which I cut to size, and covered round all the
edges with heavy-duty 2" wide sellotape. I then glued these to the top
of each loft hatch.

That would take up a lot of the 1.75" between the ladder and the hatch!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away