Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

Default New gas furnace/AC recommendations?

On Dec 17, 10:17*pm, Vic Smith
wrote:
On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 17:57:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

So, a legitimate company won't negotiate? * Seems rather odd given the
state of
the economy. *With new construction in the tank, I'm really surprised
that these guys
aren't negotiating even more.

Did you check alpinehomeair.com?
I looked out of curiosity and when I plugged in my zip they gave me
about 8 local HVAC companies to contact - supposedly who would install
what I bought at the Alpine site.
You don't want to get raped *on an install.
Let those with cash falling out of their ears get raped.
Your $4k price include new evap/compressor/condensor?

Actually, looking at my numbers, it wa $4300. Yes, exact same
components, Rheem,
being quoted by contractors. I included evrything I could think of:
lines, whip, disconnect, pad,
media filter, 410A, thermostat, chimney liner for orphaned water
heater. Also threw in $100 for misc stuff. The LOWEST local quote I
got
is $4,000 above that, ie $8325.

$8200 is bull**** for this.

Seems high to me too, but I've been through 4 quotes now. Also, our
contractor
friend here Steve, from Mississippi, says that's what he would quote
for a similar
system. And that makes the NJ price look even better, because prices
generally
down there are less than they are here an hour from NYC.

BTW, you might want to reconsider that tax credit.
Seems it's got you rushing to a decision.
Going to 16 SEER on the 5-ton A/C to get $1500 costs you almost $2k
more.
You could probably do with less than 5-ton too.
There's some chance the $1500 credit will be reinstated.
Wouldn't count on it though unless the furnace/window/insulation mfgs
get Jack Abramoff working on the Congress.
I'm sure the Tea Party folks will be as easily bought off as those
they replaced.

I dropped the HVAC group. *No sense talking to prima donnas who think
100 bucks an hour is well beneath them, like the last guy.
**** 'em. *They want to act like lawyers, you don't want them.
You can get good HVAC installers for far less.
Ask around - you'll find a moonlighter.

--Vic

Sad part is, I'd prefer a real company. But, like you, I can do math,
and look into
what I'm getting and paying for. I don't buy the argument that an
HVAC installer/tech
is in a whole different class than an auto repair mechanic at an auto
dealership.
If anything, cars are MORE sophisticated. And they actually include
their own AC
system too, don;t they? Certainly the periodic training they have to
go through is as demanding
as that of HVAC guys.

I also don't put much into the fact that the HVAC guy has a truck and
comes to me
as far as justifying what amounts to labor rates of $150 to $200 an
hour. Yes, they
have a truck, but they also don't have the large dealership and repair
facility on highway frontage and
all the overhead, taxes, etc that go with it.