Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Insulating a loft hatch

In article
,
harry writes
On Dec 18, 11:52*am, PeterC wrote:
I've a largish hatch with the ladder mounted on it. It's 1100x700mm, so a
good source of overhead cooling :-( *it's this one more or less:

http://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers....en_Loft_Ladder...

Now, I can't afford to lose any depth behind the treads - in fact, could do
with more - as me feets too big, so the simple method of sticking on 50mm of
insulation is out.

The only other way I can think of is to insulate the underside, but that
means a lump sticking down from the ceiling!

Any ideas, please?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Some of this high tech shiny bubble wrap stuff?

Apart from the fact that it is ****, it also requires to sit in a
compartment with 1" of still air on either side of it so you still lose
2" of space.

HB's idea of battening off sounds good although creating a sandwich with
the existing hatch panel, 2" of Celotex and 1/2" of ply to protect the
insulation from foot impact might work just as well with the 'tex
provising the stand-off instead of the battens.

1" of celotex might do the job in which case it could be stuck to the
underside and with a 45deg chamfer around the edge to half depth and
appropriate decorating finish it wouldn't look too obtrusive.
--
fred