Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default Rayovac batteries - leak problems?

On 12/13/2010 10:29 PM, Jan Philips wrote:
I usually use Duracell or Energizer batteries. I got some Rayovac
batteries because they were cheaper. I figured that they were about
the same, and you are paying for Duracell and Energizer advertising. I
had the Rayovac batteries in two Maglite flashlights. Both started
getting dim, so I opened them up to change the batteries. The Rayovac
batteries had leaked and ruined the flashlights. I contacted Rayovac
- they said that they were reimbursing me for the flashlights and
today I received new batteries from them.

I'm afraid to use the replacement Rayovac batteries - they might leak
and ruin something else. Do Rayovac batteries have problems with
leaking?

I've used Rayovac AA's for 20 or so years and don't recall having a
problem. I normally wait for the sales and about a month ago bought 30
of them for about 35 cents a piece. My main application long ago was in
electronics in pinball machines, used to hold the memory when turned off
(yes old technology). I'd use a couple hundred a year. They go through
a lot of heat, which most batteries don't like but they seemed to be
just as good as the name brands spending millions of $$ in TV commercials.

I can't say they never leaked, but when things get left go for 5 or more
years, the name brand ones leaked also.