Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rayovac batteries - leak problems?

I usually use Duracell or Energizer batteries. I got some Rayovac
batteries because they were cheaper. I figured that they were about
the same, and you are paying for Duracell and Energizer advertising. I
had the Rayovac batteries in two Maglite flashlights. Both started
getting dim, so I opened them up to change the batteries. The Rayovac
batteries had leaked and ruined the flashlights. I contacted Rayovac
- they said that they were reimbursing me for the flashlights and
today I received new batteries from them.

I'm afraid to use the replacement Rayovac batteries - they might leak
and ruin something else. Do Rayovac batteries have problems with
leaking?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm afraid to use the replacement Rayovac batteries - they might leak
and ruin something else. Do Rayovac batteries have problems with
leaking?

I suppose any cell will leak if sufficiently abused.

Personally, I buy cheap alkalines at discount places for about $.25/cell.

Occasionally I find signs of slight "leakage" in stuff that I left the
batteries in but didn't use.

Most severe leakage usually comes when you leave something on and the cells
are completely drained. When this happens, one cell is likely to end up
being discharged to the point where it exhibits polarity reversal. Now
THAT'S when you get serious leakage.

IOW: your best protection against leakage is: 1) only use alkaline cells
in disposable applications; 2) don't leave the gadget turned on; and 3) when
you KNOW the battteries are "weak" just toss them.

Keep plenty of spare cells around so that you aren't tempted to leave "weak"
cells inside appliances where they can cause problems.

Personally, I use a mix of NiCads, MNiH, and alkalines. Heavy drawing
stuff uses rechargables. Otherwise, I use AA & AAA alkalines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

#1 - I use only alkaline
2 - the flashlights were not on for a very long time
3 - I tested them and they were weak - that's when I opened them up to
change the batteries and found the leak problem.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 13, 9:29*pm, Jan Philips
wrote:
I usually use Duracell or Energizer batteries. *I got some Rayovac
batteries because they were cheaper. *I figured that they were about
the same, and you are paying for Duracell and Energizer advertising. I
had the Rayovac batteries in two Maglite flashlights. *Both started
getting dim, so I opened them up to change the batteries. *The Rayovac
batteries had leaked and ruined the flashlights. *I contacted Rayovac
- they said that they were reimbursing me for the flashlights and
today I received new batteries from them.

I'm afraid to use the replacement Rayovac batteries - they might leak
and ruin something else. *Do Rayovac batteries have problems with
leaking?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

I never had a Duracell or Energiser leak that had charge left in it,
so I maybe rayovac have problems
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:29:14 -0500, Jan Philips
wrote Re Rayovac batteries - leak
problems?:

Do Rayovac batteries have problems with
leaking?

Yes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote in
:

I usually use Duracell or Energizer batteries. I got some Rayovac
batteries because they were cheaper. I figured that they were about
the same, and you are paying for Duracell and Energizer advertising. I
had the Rayovac batteries in two Maglite flashlights. Both started
getting dim, so I opened them up to change the batteries. The Rayovac
batteries had leaked and ruined the flashlights. I contacted Rayovac
- they said that they were reimbursing me for the flashlights and
today I received new batteries from them.

I'm afraid to use the replacement Rayovac batteries - they might leak
and ruin something else. Do Rayovac batteries have problems with
leaking?

We had several MagLites over the years, all but one of them gifts.

Each and every one was destroyed by leaking batteries. All the batteries
used were either Energizer or Duracell alkaline.

I have come to the tentative conclusion that the primary issue is that
MagLites are sealed too well to allow any sort of air flow through them.

Our other less-well-sealed flashlights (some dating back to the '80s) do
not suffer from this problem, even with the same brand and type of
batteries. This is what leads me to the tentative conclusion mentioned
above.

My solution: unload the MagLite when not in use; leave it open; only
install the batteries when you need the flashlight.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:53:44 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote Re Rayovac batteries - leak problems?:

My solution: unload the MagLite when not in use; leave it open; only
install the batteries when you need the flashlight.

Excellent solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My solution: unload the MagLite when not in use; leave it open; only
install the batteries when you need the flashlight.

A problem with that is that I have that I have four of them around the
house located in places that I can find in the dark by feel. I don't
want to have to find the batteries in the dark.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My solution: unload the MagLite when not in use; leave it open; only
install the batteries when you need the flashlight.

A problem with that is that I have that I have four of them around the
house located in places that I can find in the dark by feel. I don't
want to have to find the batteries in the dark.

IMO a flashlight without batteries in it is useless.
Always want it fast, and ready.
I've got at least 3 Maglites and never had a battery leak in them.
I never use Ray-O-Vac, which I've had leak long ago.
Never had Duracells leak.
Usually there's cheap batteries in them that my wife picks up at Big
Lots or some other bargain place.
I looked at the Mags in the kitchen and the 5-cell has Fuji something
in it, the 3-cell was empty.
Since I picked up a few packs of those HF LED flashlights I hardly use
the MagLites anyway.
Grabbed the empty Maglite just the other day and when I saw it didn't
light I just grabbed one of the LED's, which filled the bill.
Got those little things all around the house.

Anybody using Eneloops?
I've been using them for all my wireless stuff and digital camera for
about a year now and really like them. They hold a charge longer than
the Targa and Ever-Ready rechargeables I was using before, and don't
degrade after repeated chargings like those did.
That's just my impression, no scientific testing.
I'm thinking about getting some more for the flashlights, and have
just one battery type in the house.
I'll tell my wife not to buy any more batteries, and just go see the
Master of Batteries - me - for any battery needs.
No inappropriate jokes here - please.
But Eneloops are a bit more expensive than most rechargeables, so I
haven't pulled the trigger on that.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote in
news
wrote:

My solution: unload the MagLite when not in use; leave it open; only
install the batteries when you need the flashlight.

A problem with that is that I have that I have four of them around the
house located in places that I can find in the dark by feel. I don't
want to have to find the batteries in the dark.

Rubber-band them to the flashlight, in the orientation you'll need them to
be when installed.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2010 10:29 PM, Jan Philips wrote:
I usually use Duracell or Energizer batteries. I got some Rayovac
batteries because they were cheaper. I figured that they were about
the same, and you are paying for Duracell and Energizer advertising. I
had the Rayovac batteries in two Maglite flashlights. Both started
getting dim, so I opened them up to change the batteries. The Rayovac
batteries had leaked and ruined the flashlights. I contacted Rayovac
- they said that they were reimbursing me for the flashlights and
today I received new batteries from them.

I'm afraid to use the replacement Rayovac batteries - they might leak
and ruin something else. Do Rayovac batteries have problems with
leaking?

Oddly, I seem to have been presented with a lot of kids' toys lately to
fix that I was unable to do so because of leaking batteries. They were
all rayovacs. I just dug out some old wireless mice that'd been in a
drawer for months, unused - no leakage. Batteries in one were Energizer
and the other Duracell. I can't remember the last time I had a leakage
problem, but I never use Rayovac batteries - mostly use Energizer
lithium when I can find them because I hate having to buy batteries.
Also have several LED flashlights with the Duracell batteries that they
came with still in them, some of them more than a year old.

completely anecdotal, I know, but I can't remember the last time I saw a
battery that had leaked that *wasn't* a Rayovac.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vic Smith" wrote in message

stuff snipped

IMO a flashlight without batteries in it is useless.
Always want it fast, and ready.

Pretty much. Who wants to fumble in the dark looking for batteries or
device is left on, they can cause the alkaline cells to leak. I've had them
ALL leak - Rayovacs, Energizers and even Duracells. The only exceptions are
NiMH, which I've never had leak under any circumstances.

Anybody using Eneloops?
I've been using them for all my wireless stuff and digital camera for
about a year now and really like them. They hold a charge longer than
the Targa and Ever-Ready rechargeables I was using before, and don't
degrade after repeated chargings like those did.

I've been testing them for the last year. Very useful in high drain stuff
like portable TV's, cameras, etc. Seem to hold a charge for at least six
months - I've got a digital charger that tells you how many mA's of charge a
battery takes so in about six months from now I'll know how well they hold a
charge over a year. I charged a batch up that I bought this summer and just
put them away. Package claims 80% charge retention - we'll see.

While they are pricey, it does seem that will be very useful in LED
flashlights because of the long charge retention. Using NiMH cells in
flashlights usually means recharging them every 3 months to make sure they
still work and that's a PITA. So is going for a flashlight and finding it
ruined from a battery leak.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 19:52:04 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:
completely anecdotal, I know, but I can't remember the last time I saw a
battery that had leaked that *wasn't* a Rayovac.

That has been my recent experience too, but as you say, that is only
anecdotal evidence.

Rayovac sent me two sets of replacements. I'm afraid to use them,
except I may use them for a while and get rid of them before they have
a chance to leak.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Each and every one was destroyed by leaking batteries. All the batteries
used were either Energizer or Duracell alkaline.

I have come to the tentative conclusion that the primary issue is that
MagLites are sealed too well to allow any sort of air flow through them.

Our other less-well-sealed flashlights (some dating back to the '80s) do
not suffer from this problem, even with the same brand and type of
batteries. This is what leads me to the tentative conclusion mentioned
above.

My solution: unload the MagLite when not in use; leave it open; only
install the batteries when you need the flashlight.

I have Maglites with Energizer or Duracell, but no leakage problems.
So I doubt it is a consequence of Maglites.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

Might also be the very powerful tailcap spring? I've heard that the
battery closest to the tail cap is most likely to leak.

I've had the fewest leakers in Duracell.

Of course, it's not always practical to take the batteries out and
store separately. I try to remember once a year or so, to open the
tail cap. Bit of vaseline on the threads. Change the order of the
batteries, so a different cell is in back.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tegger" wrote in message
Jan Philips wrote in
:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Only answer then, is to change the order of the batteries every year
or so. Of course, you can carry a mini mag or squeeze button cell
light to be able to get to the Mag. Still, that's a time delay if
you've got a wolf in the chickens.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jan Philips" wrote in message
news
A problem with that is that I have that I have four of them around the
house located in places that I can find in the dark by feel. I don't
want to have to find the batteries in the dark.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rayovac batteries - or rechargables?

I've heard good about Eneloops. I've also tried Powergenix, which is a
different set of metals. Iron, zinc. They work well, for me. I've had
one or two cells that didn't hold a charge as well, but who can tell.
Might be just a fluke. Powergenix need their own charger, different
voltage and charge cycle. Only found in AA size.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Vic Smith" wrote in message

Anybody using Eneloops?
I've been using them for all my wireless stuff and digital camera for
about a year now and really like them. They hold a charge longer than
the Targa and Ever-Ready rechargeables I was using before, and don't
degrade after repeated chargings like those did.
That's just my impression, no scientific testing.
I'm thinking about getting some more for the flashlights, and have
just one battery type in the house.

But Eneloops are a bit more expensive than most rechargeables, so I
haven't pulled the trigger on that.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 08:47:38 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've heard good about Eneloops. I've also tried Powergenix, which is a
different set of metals. Iron, zinc. They work well, for me. I've had
one or two cells that didn't hold a charge as well, but who can tell.
Might be just a fluke. Powergenix need their own charger, different
voltage and charge cycle. Only found in AA size.

I don't know about them but I've had good results using Tenergy
batteries - I get them through www.all-battery.com. I have no
financial or other connection with them except that I like the
batteries.

I commute by bike through much of the winter, so I use their batteries
in lots of lights as well as my heated gloves. I also use them in all
the remotes in the house. They last for a few years, with heavy use in
the winter months and fairly light use otherwise. I also use their
batteries for my two Roombas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 08:43:59 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Might also be the very powerful tailcap spring? I've heard that the
battery closest to the tail cap is most likely to leak.

The springs on some of the Maglites are very strong - strong enough to
make it hard to get it on in the dark.

In both of my cases, it was not the battery near the cap that was
leaking (or not leaking the most). I was able to get the first
battery out, but the second one was frozen in there.

As far as getting the flashlight on quickly (in another message), some
people in this family are stressed when the lights go out, so it is
important to get them on quickly.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote in
news
wrote:

Might also be the very powerful tailcap spring? I've heard that the
battery closest to the tail cap is most likely to leak.

The springs on some of the Maglites are very strong - strong enough to
make it hard to get it on in the dark.

In both of my cases, it was not the battery near the cap that was
leaking (or not leaking the most). I was able to get the first
battery out, but the second one was frozen in there.

I never thought of that before.

Perhaps the spring is strong enough that it can compromise the seals on the
batteries. You wouldn't necessarily see the leaks from the battery nearest
the spring, but from the one(s) which had the weakest sealing in the first
place.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm with you -- those Mag tailcap springs are a bit too much. I've had
some luck, put the lens on the floor, and push the tailcap with my
palm, from above.

It's a shame that people friek out when the lights go out. I've done
enough darkroom work, and fire department drills. I'm OK with darkness
for a few minutes while I find a light.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jan Philips" wrote in message
news On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 08:43:59 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Might also be the very powerful tailcap spring? I've heard that the
battery closest to the tail cap is most likely to leak.

The springs on some of the Maglites are very strong - strong enough to
make it hard to get it on in the dark.

In both of my cases, it was not the battery near the cap that was
leaking (or not leaking the most). I was able to get the first
battery out, but the second one was frozen in there.

As far as getting the flashlight on quickly (in another message), some
people in this family are stressed when the lights go out, so it is
important to get them on quickly.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2010 10:29 PM, Jan Philips wrote:
I usually use Duracell or Energizer batteries. I got some Rayovac
batteries because they were cheaper. I figured that they were about
the same, and you are paying for Duracell and Energizer advertising. I
had the Rayovac batteries in two Maglite flashlights. Both started
getting dim, so I opened them up to change the batteries. The Rayovac
batteries had leaked and ruined the flashlights. I contacted Rayovac
- they said that they were reimbursing me for the flashlights and
today I received new batteries from them.

I'm afraid to use the replacement Rayovac batteries - they might leak
and ruin something else. Do Rayovac batteries have problems with
leaking?

I've used Rayovac AA's for 20 or so years and don't recall having a
problem. I normally wait for the sales and about a month ago bought 30
of them for about 35 cents a piece. My main application long ago was in
electronics in pinball machines, used to hold the memory when turned off
(yes old technology). I'd use a couple hundred a year. They go through
a lot of heat, which most batteries don't like but they seemed to be
just as good as the name brands spending millions of $$ in TV commercials.

I can't say they never leaked, but when things get left go for 5 or more
years, the name brand ones leaked also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I contacted Rayovac
- they said that they were reimbursing me for the flashlights and
today I received new batteries from them.

Followup: and today I received $52.00 from them for the two ruined
Maglites.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

Outstanding! That's so rare, that any company acts with
integrity. I'm pleased you posted. Made my whole evening.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jan Philips" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

I contacted Rayovac
- they said that they were reimbursing me for the
flashlights and
today I received new batteries from them.

Followup: and today I received $52.00 from them for the two
ruined
Maglites.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 13, 10:29*pm, Jan Philips
wrote:
I usually use Duracell or Energizer batteries. *I got some Rayovac
batteries because they were cheaper. *I figured that they were about
the same, and you are paying for Duracell and Energizer advertising. I
had the Rayovac batteries in two Maglite flashlights. *Both started
getting dim, so I opened them up to change the batteries. *The Rayovac
batteries had leaked and ruined the flashlights. *I contacted Rayovac
- they said that they were reimbursing me for the flashlights and
today I received new batteries from them.

I'm afraid to use the replacement Rayovac batteries - they might leak
and ruin something else. *Do Rayovac batteries have problems with
leaking?

Just happen to check the batteries in my Coleman lantern today and
this is what I found.

http://i55.tinypic.com/r2oldh.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:02:05 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

Just happen to check the batteries in my Coleman lantern today and
this is what I found.

http://i55.tinypic.com/r2oldh.jpg

Not pretty. Did they both leak? What brand is the one on the right?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

Just happen to check the batteries in my Coleman lantern today and
this is what I found.

http://i55.tinypic.com/r2oldh.jpg

Not pretty. *Did they both leak? *What brand is the one on the right?

Yep, both leaked. The one on the right is an Energizer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ouch, that's no good. Were you able to clean up the light,
or was it too far gone?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ron" wrote in message
On Dec 13, 10:29 pm, Jan Philips

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Ron wrote:

Just happen to check the batteries in my Coleman lantern today and
this is what I found.

http://i55.tinypic.com/r2oldh.jpg

You found blurry batteries? Were they in focus when they were new?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote:
I usually use Duracell or Energizer batteries. I got some Rayovac
batteries because they were cheaper. I figured that they were about
the same, and you are paying for Duracell and Energizer advertising. I
had the Rayovac batteries in two Maglite flashlights. Both started
getting dim, so I opened them up to change the batteries. The Rayovac
batteries had leaked and ruined the flashlights. I contacted Rayovac
- they said that they were reimbursing me for the flashlights and
today I received new batteries from them.

I'm afraid to use the replacement Rayovac batteries - they might leak
and ruin something else. Do Rayovac batteries have problems with
leaking?

might be helpful to mention the timeframe.
How many years were they in the flashlight?
What's the expiration date printed on the leaky cells?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 19:58:01 -0800, mike wrote:

might be helpful to mention the timeframe.
How many years were they in the flashlight?

At least two years, maybe 3 or 4 (estimating).

What's the expiration date printed on the leaky cells?

I don't know - I couldn't get them out of the flashlight barrel.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in newsrestwhich-
:

In article
,
Ron wrote:

Just happen to check the batteries in my Coleman lantern today and
this is what I found.

http://i55.tinypic.com/r2oldh.jpg

You found blurry batteries? Were they in focus when they were new?

I've had good luck -so far- with Ray-o-Vac batteries.
Had to switch from Fuji Novel after they apparently changed manufacture,and
out of a whole 24 pack of AA's,half in the package were leaking well before
the "use by" date,and not even put into use yet.They used to be very
reliable. ;-(
I've had lots of Duracells leak,a few Everready,but Harbor Freight
"Thunderbolt" brand were the worst.

Plus,I'm switching over to rechargeable NiMH AA's where possible.
They don't seem to have the self-discharge rate I expected,MUCH less than
NiCd.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:

Just happen to check the batteries in my Coleman lantern today and
this is what I found.

http://i55.tinypic.com/r2oldh.jpg

You found blurry batteries? Were they in focus when they were new?

I've had good luck -so far- with Ray-o-Vac batteries.
Had to switch from Fuji Novel after they apparently changed manufacture,and
out of a whole 24 pack of AA's,half in the package were leaking well before
the "use by" date,and not even put into use yet.They used to be very
reliable. ;-(
I've had lots of Duracells leak,a few Everready,but Harbor Freight
"Thunderbolt" brand were the worst.

I've been using "UltiTech" batteries from Lowes now for a while; $20 (AA and
AAA) per hundred. They seem to be every bit as good as Duracell and the bunny
brand.

Plus,I'm switching over to rechargeable NiMH AA's where possible.
They don't seem to have the self-discharge rate I expected,MUCH less than
NiCd.

NiMH was supposed to be a lot worse. For $.20 apiece I don't bother with
rechargeable (some applications don't like them).
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have had 3 separate incidents in the last few months with leaking
Ray-o-vac 'D' cells. The batteries had date codes of 2014. In one case
it damaged a vintage 40 year old Sony portable radio. I have not had any
trouble with their other battery sizes, only the 'D" cells. I even had
one package go bad before I even opened it. It is still in the plastic.
I am an antique radio collector and have now removed all Ray-o-vac 'D'
size cells from my radio collection.

Phil Vourtsis

--
pvourtsis
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2010 12:23 AM, pvourtsis wrote:
I have had 3 separate incidents in the last few months with leaking
Ray-o-vac 'D' cells. The batteries had date codes of 2014. In one case
it damaged a vintage 40 year old Sony portable radio. I have not had any
trouble with their other battery sizes, only the 'D" cells. I even had
one package go bad before I even opened it. It is still in the plastic.
I am an antique radio collector and have now removed all Ray-o-vac 'D'
size cells from my radio collection.

Phil Vourtsis

You know, we had a pretty hot summer and I wonder if your batteries may
have sat in a hot delivery truck for a little too long?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ms-609583-.htm
Proud American wrote:

Jan Philips wrote:

I usually use Duracell or Energizer batteries. I got some Rayovac
batteries because they were cheaper. I figured that they were about
the same, and you are paying for Duracell and Energizer advertising. I
had the Rayovac batteries in two Maglite flashlights. Both started
getting dim, so I opened them up to change the batteries. The Rayovac
batteries had leaked and ruined the flashlights. I contacted Rayovac
- they said that they were reimbursing me for the flashlights and
today I received new batteries from them.

I'm afraid to use the replacement Rayovac batteries - they might leak
and ruin something else. Do Rayovac batteries have problems with
leaking?

-- Pay a about $1.25 more - Rayovac Batteries last only about 1/2 as long as Duracell or Energizer. So you will ultimately be paying almost double.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jan Philips, UnclKracker wrote:
youknowwhat.mccranie wrote:

I'm afraid to use the replacement Rayovac batteries - they might leak
and ruin something else. Do Rayovac batteries have problems with
leaking?

Before alkaline batteries, leakage was pretty common. Since Alkaline
batteries became the norm. I've lost several devices to Rayovac but never
when using Duracell or Ever Ready. I'll never buy them again regardless
of the price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 16:44:01 +0000, UnclKracker
wrote:

replying to Jan Philips, UnclKracker wrote:
youknowwhat.mccranie wrote:

I'm afraid to use the replacement Rayovac batteries - they might leak
and ruin something else. Do Rayovac batteries have problems with
leaking?

Before alkaline batteries, leakage was pretty common. Since Alkaline
batteries became the norm. I've lost several devices to Rayovac but never
when using Duracell or Ever Ready. I'll never buy them again regardless
of the price.

I sure have (both Internet radios, recently). They all suck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jan Philips, whealerman wrote:
youknowwhat.mccranie wrote:

I usually use Duracell or Energizer batteries. I got some Rayovac
batteries because they were cheaper. I figured that they were about
the same, and you are paying for Duracell and Energizer advertising. I
had the Rayovac batteries in two Maglite flashlights. Both started
getting dim, so I opened them up to change the batteries. The Rayovac
batteries had leaked and ruined the flashlights. I contacted Rayovac
- they said that they were reimbursing me for the flashlights and
today I received new batteries from them.
I'm afraid to use the replacement Rayovac batteries - they might leak
and ruin something else. Do Rayovac batteries have problems with
leaking?

I will not use Ray-O-Vac batteries, specifically because of the leakage
problem. When I was much younger (I'm now 63) I had several devices
ruined by Ray-O-Vac batteries. I recently bought a Ray-O-Vac LED
flashlight at Big Lots. Took out the Ray-O-Vac batteries that came in it
and replaced them with Duracell Ultras. It's a great flashlight, but I
knew its life expectancy would be radically shortened if I left the
Ray-O-Vac batteries in it.

I have actually found one brand of battery that is worse than Ray-O-Vac
(which I consider a dubious achievement in itself) and that is the
batteries sold at IKEA. I would advise everyone to stay clear of
Ray-O-Vac and IKEA batteries if they want to prevent damage to any of
their devices.

Ray-O-Vac batteries are the most leaky of any battery I've come across.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2015 1:44 PM, whealerman wrote:
Ray-O-Vac batteries are the most leaky of any battery I've come across.

All disposable alkaline batteries leak. Never seen a brand that didn't.
I buy Ray-O-Vac alkalines because they are made in USA.

I suspect the closest you'll get to leak proof AAA, AA, C and D size batteries is the NiMH type.