Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Weak but reliable metal glue?

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 08:14:21 -0600, Ignoramus6780
wrote:

I am still struggling with making an encoder adaptor that would go
into the top of my spindle (spindle is hollow, with a 26mm hole), and
have a 3/8" shaft protruding on top to mount the encoder disk.

After a few things that did not work, I am settling on simply making
this adaptor out of 12L14. It should be easy to make on a lathe. I am
thinking how to avoid making it "expand" but just stay in place
without expanding.

Whet I would like, I think, is make it fit the spindle precisely, yet
without any significant force involved (that is, not press or
interference fit), but use some weak glue to hold it in place. This is
so that I would pull it out easily when necessary.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to the glue.

Thanks

I'll ask again what the objection is to something that expands. You
have a lathe and mill. It's an easy project, fun to do, a lot more
consistent with machine tool precision than glue, wax, rubber bands,
etc. and you'd gain lathe experience while doing it.