Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus6780 Ignoramus6780 is offline

Default Weak but reliable metal glue?

On 2010-12-16, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Wild_Bill" fired this volley in
:

If the answers that you were given previously weren't any good, then
ask somewhere else.
Maybe you've wondered why different folks have suggested you're a
troll.. here's why.

You must be on another planet, Bill. Iggy is anything BUT a troll, and I
can't remember anyone suggesting he was, except years ago, when he first
started learning this craft.

He has questions, yes. But he also actually DOES things, and when they
don't work, he asks again.

Have YOU retro-fitted your own mill from scratch? Hmmmm?

I was admittedly going in circles, but that is not quite the same as
being a troll. I wanted to do it right.

I ended up making an adaptor on my lathe.

After installing it and reconfiguring EMC2, rigid tapping kind of,
sort of works right now, but there are many loose ends that I need to
figure out.

For example:

1) Following errors when in straight gear (not in back gear). Perhaps
this is because of wrong base period of the main thread, or something
else.

2) In back gear, forward means reverse and reverse means forward, and
I need to find a way to fix that. Right now rigid tapping in back gear
is ridiculous: The spindle runs CCW and goes down, then reverses and
goes up while spinning CW. I, obviously, need the opposite, unless I
use a left handed tap.

If I solve issue number 1, I could tap small holes, perhaps up to 5/16
NC, without going into back gear. It would be scary to watch, but will be
just fine.

For up to 5/8 NC, I would need a back gear.

3) I still would like to somehow double check the index pulses vs.
encoder counts.