Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Drilling 1.5 mm holes in 6 mm stainless rods?

On Dec 16, 1:19*pm, Chris Wilson wrote:
I need to make a fair number of 6 mm OD stainless steel pins to take 1 mm
OD R clips. I want to drill the rods near one end with a 1.5 mm hole

Make a jig that consists of a steel block with a hole to fit your
pins,
hacksaw slotted so it tightens in the mill vise. The jig
will have to attach firmly to the fixed jaw, of course.
Use heavy-duty cobalt drills, sharp ones.
Drill the pilot hole in the jig with centering as
accurate as you can manage, using a center drill to
start it. Then, produce pins.

Cooling is going to be mainly by conduction to the work,
lubrication is key, and NEVER slack off the drill pressure
while in the hole.

The RPM will be critical; for 1.5mm, you'll want something
in the 2000 - 4000 RPM range (this is fast for a big drill, but is
kinda
slow for this small one).