Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Joe AutoDrill[_2_] is offline

Default Drilling 1.5 mm holes in 6 mm stainless rods?

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
I need to make a fair number of 6 mm OD stainless steel pins to take 1 mm
OD R clips. I want to drill the rods near one end with a 1.5 mm hole for
the R clips. I have a Bridgeport universal mill and a decent drill press.
have pin drill chucks to taske small drill bits. What's the best way to
drill say 50 of these pins with good efficiency and little chance of
breaking drill bits in them please? Best bits to use? Thanks.

I guess you might already know this but... Use coolant. Oil if you can.
The moment the drill is dry, it is done.

If you have that many to do, may even build a little "clay" dam around the
part and submerge it in coolant because your hole is a bit deep for a simple
bursh-on or spray on coolant to work at 4 x the diameter.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R