Bay Area Dave

Default Who said Marples chisels are any good???

Interestingly, Robert, over in the woodturner's group, complained about
the Marples not holding an edge, AND he prefers his Sears chisels...

dave

Bay Area Dave wrote:

I just picked up 3 Marples protouch chisels, wasted my time to sharpen
the 3/8" one and then proceeded to put chisel to wood; namely red oak.
Before getting more than 4 sides of a mortise started the chisel's edge
was so nicked that I could see it without my reading glasses! That's
saying something. BTW, I sharpened it on 3 diamond stones and then up
to around 5k+ papers. I used the Lee Valley honing guide...

I've got a Sears chisel, 3/4" that holds an edge for quite a while.
What's up with these Marples?

dave