Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default New gas furnace/AC recommendations?

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:30:48 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/15/2010 5:17 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 16:09:38 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 14:06:24 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:27:48 -0500,
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 09:14:02 -0500, Home wrote:

The Daring Dufas used poor usenet style by improperly full-quoting:

The finest equipment in the world is worthless if installed
improperly.

You totally missed the point.

What's wrong with the customer buying a new furnace through one of those
national retailers / wholesalers, and then contracting a local HVAC
company to install it?

How would that result in improper installation?

The customer would save the 50%+ markup charged by the local HVAC
company for the furnace.

Asshole - you really think you get 'wholesale price' like
that ? Yeh, you probably think if a car dealership sells you a car at
'$ 100 below invoice', they lost money on the deal. after all, they
showed you on the invoice 'what they paid for it', right ?

Anyone who is actualy in the business laughs out loud at the
'Internet wholesale' prices for any parts or equipment. It's double
what they pay at the local supply house.
Sometimes that is true.

HOWEVER - I find quite often I could buy stuff over the internet for
less than I pay my wholesale suppliers. Sometimes significantly less -
but being "grey market" there is no support and often no accessible
warranty.

Then it's not really apples-to-apples.

Same situation with buyng a furnace on the internet.

Identical product, significant price reduction, bur lotsa gotchas.

What about shipping charges? Some of that stuff is quite heavy. I've
looked into buying some items over the net but the shipping eats up
any savings in purchase price.

TDD

In my business the hard to get stuff (and stuff I could save a bundle
on) is generally small and light making the shipping pretty reasonable
unless it comes UPS from the USA - where the brokerage kills ya.