Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Rayovac batteries - leak problems?

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 16:02:42 -0500, Jan Philips
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:53:44 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

My solution: unload the MagLite when not in use; leave it open; only
install the batteries when you need the flashlight.

A problem with that is that I have that I have four of them around the
house located in places that I can find in the dark by feel. I don't
want to have to find the batteries in the dark.

IMO a flashlight without batteries in it is useless.
Always want it fast, and ready.
I've got at least 3 Maglites and never had a battery leak in them.
I never use Ray-O-Vac, which I've had leak long ago.
Never had Duracells leak.
Usually there's cheap batteries in them that my wife picks up at Big
Lots or some other bargain place.
I looked at the Mags in the kitchen and the 5-cell has Fuji something
in it, the 3-cell was empty.
Since I picked up a few packs of those HF LED flashlights I hardly use
the MagLites anyway.
Grabbed the empty Maglite just the other day and when I saw it didn't
light I just grabbed one of the LED's, which filled the bill.
Got those little things all around the house.

Anybody using Eneloops?
I've been using them for all my wireless stuff and digital camera for
about a year now and really like them. They hold a charge longer than
the Targa and Ever-Ready rechargeables I was using before, and don't
degrade after repeated chargings like those did.
That's just my impression, no scientific testing.
I'm thinking about getting some more for the flashlights, and have
just one battery type in the house.
I'll tell my wife not to buy any more batteries, and just go see the
Master of Batteries - me - for any battery needs.
No inappropriate jokes here - please.
But Eneloops are a bit more expensive than most rechargeables, so I
haven't pulled the trigger on that.

--Vic