Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Steve[_24_] Steve[_24_] is offline

Default New gas furnace/AC recommendations?

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 12/11/2010 12:53 PM, Steve wrote:
"Home wrote in message

While I don't agree with Home Guy on everything, I do agree that
in many cases the extra cost of models with an ECM blower aren't
worth it.

I'm guessing that it's increasingly high targets for energy efficiency
(combustion and electrical) set by gov't regulations is the reason why
we're seeing the use of ECM blower motors in consumer HVAC equipment,
just as we see the same when it comes to saftey equipment (air bags, ABS
brakes, CAFE and emissions standards) in cars. Probably the same reason
for electronic ignition vs standing pilot as well.

I can't believe that we'd see widespread use of ECM motors under true
free-market-driven conditions (ie - with no gov't efficiency mandates or
constraints).

A lot of us don't live where they have 9 months of winter sports, and
humidity control is a huge issue. Where I am, we run A/C from March 1st
until November 1st with average summer temps of 90F with 75% to 85% RH
you can *DO* what you want, you can be as ignorant as you want....thats
your
problem.

I do this for a living, and I *KNOW* first hand what the benefits of the
new
systems are, and how much my customers utility bills have dropped, as
well
as their comfort level increasing.

You can *TRY* to re-engineer a new furnace by taking out the electronics,
ECM motor, and electronic ignition... Just remember that as soon as you
screw with it, you have voided the warranty, as well as the UL ratings
and
if you burn your house down, your insurance company will deny the claim.

Maybe you should get a job in the engineering department with the
equipment
manufacturers.

Steve, you can verify something for me because you do more of this work
than I do. I've noticed a dramatic drop in price for the ECM motors over
a period of time and I assume it's because millions of the things are
being produced now, economies of scale. I'm seeing an ECM replacement for
PSC motors offered like the Genteq EverGreen and I'm wondering if you've
converted any air handlers for customers or have considered it?

TDD

The equipment I install, already has ECM motors in it. the stuff with ECM
motors in it has a 10 year parts warranty, and the heat pumps have either a
5 year or 10 year unit replacement warranty.

I don't know why I would install an air handler with a PSC motor in it when
there is only a small difference in price for the ECM, and the PSC only has
a 5 year parts warranty, period.