Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Home Guy Home Guy is offline

Default New gas furnace/AC recommendations?

wrote:

While I don't agree with Home Guy on everything, I do agree that
in many cases the extra cost of models with an ECM blower aren't
worth it.

I'm guessing that it's increasingly high targets for energy efficiency
(combustion and electrical) set by gov't regulations is the reason why
we're seeing the use of ECM blower motors in consumer HVAC equipment,
just as we see the same when it comes to saftey equipment (air bags, ABS
brakes, CAFE and emissions standards) in cars. Probably the same reason
for electronic ignition vs standing pilot as well.

I can't believe that we'd see widespread use of ECM motors under true
free-market-driven conditions (ie - with no gov't efficiency mandates or
constraints).