Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
ransley[_2_] ransley[_2_] is offline

Default New gas furnace/AC recommendations?

On Dec 10, 8:50*am, Home Guy wrote:
wrote:
The new furnace is a multispeed brushless DC motor

They are a heck of a lot more efficient than a crappy split cap
induction motor!!

Sometimes durability and longevity trumps efficiency.

Even if electric heat (on a per-therm basis) is twice the cost of
natural gas, that extra energy used by a PSC motor is beneficially used
by my house in the winter, and my PSC fan is running only maybe 25 to
33% of the time, not 100% of the time. *In the summer, when my fan is
running more often, it's running at full speed - something that I would
also ask an ECM motor to do, and for which the ECM motor does not have
as much of an efficiency advantage over a PSC motor.

So I'll pay the net $100 a year in additional energy cost and never have
to worry about my PSC motor failing me for several decades - if ever.

Even after gov't rebates, forking out a minimum $2000 for a new furnace
is going to take years to recover that, with the ECM motor delivering
just $100 a year and the burners / heat-exchanger *maybe* giving me an
additional $200 a year in savings. *And by the time I've made those
savings the furnace will be near the end of it's reliable life-span.

You keep omitting the most important reason for getting one, comfort.
It will in low speed remove near 50% more moisture. You can at low
speed run it to dehumidify with out cooling much. Great on those 70f
days when its 75 inside and real humid. it can be run by Humidistat,
just what alot of areas near water need often. Or to even out heat or
Ac in a poorly ducted house. You dont like them so dont buy one.