Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default late (too late) winterizing of water faucets: 24F, can't open outside faucet

On 9 Dec 2010 02:11:28 -0500, (David Combs) wrote:

A little help, please.

(Yeah, should have done the water 2 weeks ago, at least!)

Anyway, it's now 24f outside (1am night), can't "open" the
valve in the faucet. Try to twist-open the faucet (ie counter-
clockwise), won't move.

About three hours ago I started squirting Blaster PB50 "all purpose
lubricant" where the stem meets the faucet body. Did that
several times half-hour apart, still "frozen", so then
I switched to wd40, an hour ago. Still nothing.

Question: do I have to warm up the faucet? Would that help?

Let's assume you closed the stop inside the house.
So you won't get a flood if the pipe breaks, just have to replace it.
The fastest way is a propane torch. Keep the torch moving all over
the valve body, but stay away from the handle and stem/stem nut.
Every couple minutes test if it will open.
Hot water will work, but you'll make a mess of ice all around under
the valve.
If you go that way, wrap a hand towel around the valve and pour hot
water on the towel, just enough to keep the towel warm.
Water moves heat very well.
This will work more quickly than a blow dryer, but you might not want
to be picky.

--Vic