Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default late (too late) winterizing of water faucets: 24F, can't open outside faucet

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"David Combs" wrote in message
A little help, please.

(Yeah, should have done the water 2 weeks ago, at least!)

Anyway, it's now 24f outside (1am night), can't "open" the
valve in the faucet. Try to twist-open the faucet (ie counter-
clockwise), won't move.

About three hours ago I started squirting Blaster PB50 "all purpose
lubricant" where the stem meets the faucet body. Did that
several times half-hour apart, still "frozen", so then
I switched to wd40, an hour ago. Still nothing.

Question: do I have to warm up the faucet? Would that help?

(Could do it via "medical" heating pad wrapped around it,
that in turn wrapped in what, winter coat, towells, ...?)

Whole idea is to get this done so I can drain the pipe
so I don't crack a pipe.

Ideas?

THANKS!

David

Lubricants won't help. You need heat. Now that it is frozen, you can
wait untilt he sun comes out and put a hair dryer on it. If cracked,
it won't matter if you fix it now or next spring.

Unless it bothers you to let it leak from the first thaw to spring.