Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
andy andy is offline

Default boat wiring

On Dec 9, 5:35*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
My friend's boat wiring is FUBAR. Its a 25 year old salt water unit
with a Cummins diesel and single screw. There is what's left of a
system to switch from Bat A to Bat B or both. Its been through a
couple 'canes and had salt water up to the deck a couple times. Plus
25 years of hack electrical repairs.

Anyway, I'd like to start with some sort of load center to handle the
winch, starter, alternator and bat A /bat B systems, and a whole bunch
of small breakers for all the small loads. Anyone know of such a unit
for salt water boats?

We have a crew of four willing to attack this problem on windy days
over the next three months. But we need her to sail when the wind goes
down.

Karl

Hello Karl.
I recently wired up a boat and used components from Blue Sea
Systems.They have an excellent tool on their website that calculates
wire sizes based on loads and
lengths and a few other factors. I actually spoke to a guy there who
knew his stuff and was very helpful (if you value that kind of stuff)

If you cant find a stock panel for your needs, you can go custom with
an outfit called Mobil Marine Wiring out of Newburyport, MA.
Disclamer: I never actually bought anthing from him, but he was kind
enough to recommend a stock Blue Seas panel for my simple setup.

As far as conductors go, the least expensive place that I found to buy
was http://gregsmarinewiresupply.com. Greg cut and put on the end
fittings for all my high current cables. For the lighter gage wires,
I bought the wire from him and crimped the ends myself. I invested a
few bucks for a double crimp tool from Ancor which made nice crimps
easily.

Good recommendations in this thread for documenting your work for the
next guy.

Good luck with your project
Andy
Lynn, MA