Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default boat wiring

Karl Townsend wrote:

My friend's boat wiring is FUBAR. Its a 25 year old salt water unit
with a Cummins diesel and single screw. There is what's left of a
system to switch from Bat A to Bat B or both. Its been through a
couple 'canes and had salt water up to the deck a couple times. Plus
25 years of hack electrical repairs.

Anyway, I'd like to start with some sort of load center to handle the
winch, starter, alternator and bat A /bat B systems, and a whole bunch
of small breakers for all the small loads. Anyone know of such a unit
for salt water boats?

We have a crew of four willing to attack this problem on windy days
over the next three months. But we need her to sail when the wind goes
down.

Karl

There are all manner of marine electrical components available to choose
from, but I think you'll mostly have to assemble everything from
components vs. some stock all-in-one unit. Things such as the high
current battery selector switches are readily panel mountable as are
most other components.

I'd recommend using the euro style plastic electrical enclosures with
clear covers to enclose bus bars with DC circuit breakers and other non
panel mounted components. Use good watertight cable entrance connectors
for all cables entering those enclosures.

Use dielectric grease to help moisture proof inside connectors. Use good
3M self fusing splicing tape on connections wherever you can to seal out
moisture. Use quality cable clamps to secure all the wiring with good
frequency so things are kept neat, and don't skimp on cable ties either.
Watch out for high vibration areas, pinch points, etc.

Use wire number markers on all wires (the 10 roll type work well) and
cover with clear heat shrink to provide extra protection for the marine
environment. Make a full, neat color diagram of all wiring, including
the circuit numbers, fuse / breaker amperages, etc. Print copies of this
diagram on a color laser printer and laminate well, leaving a wide
sealing edge in the laminating film. Permanently affix this diagram in
relevant locations (screws or VHB tape) and also put copies in document
pouches in those areas for removable documentation.