Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default No Salute for Staff Sergeant Giunta?

On 12/8/2010 5:47 PM, wrote:
On Dec 8, 7:06 pm, wrote:

You guys sure make a mountain out of a molehill.
Hawke

If it was a tradition, Obama ought to have done it. Obviously not a
big thing to you, but also obvious it is a big thing to some of those
that were in the military.

Dan

It's not really a big thing to them either. They're just looking for
nits to pick. They hate Democrats so they hate Obama. So any chance they
get to go after him they do, it doesn't matter how trivial it is, it's
an opportunity. Just look at how people in the military look at people
who make a big deal out of saluting. You've heard some of these guys,
right? They say saluting is mainly an informal thing and lots of
officers don't do it. But there are always a few sticklers that everyone
can't stand because they are "sticklers". Obama gave the guy a medal,
which he probably didn't deserve, he shook his hand, and he gave him a
little hug. I saw a repeat of it a day or so ago. To 99% of the people
who saw the ceremony they thought it was just fine. But we're talking
about the 1% that made a mountain out of it. These were the same people
who overlooked every goof up that Bush made, so I think that puts the
whole thing in context. It's a partisan thing for them.

By the way, I saw the sergeant on 60 Minutes and heard his whole story.
I was shocked he would get the highest medal possible. It seemed like he
was too. If you read the stories of other medal of honor winners it
doesn't sound like it was worth even a bronze star. He was in a tiny
firefight and saved one guy from capture. Audie Murphy he isn't. With
that in mind you can see why I think a lack of a salute by Obama was
nothing. But as they say, everyone's got an opinion, and that's mine.

Hawke