Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electrical wiring question - shop related

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 10:39:58 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 05:33:03 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Is it permissable to have an outlet that is rated for less curent than
the circuit breaker is?

I wired the detached garage for 40A 220v service (it seemed like a lot
of capacity 25 years ago!). In the garage is a subpanel with (4) 110V
and (1) 30A 220v circuits. Originally the 30A breaker fed one single
outlet (for the arc welder and compressor that I would someday own) -
eventually I got tired of unplugging the welder to plug in the
compressor or phase converter and now have (3) 220v outlets side by
side in one box. Over the years I made up an extension cord to be able
to weld on the opposite side of the garage and to power the bandsaw.
I am considering adding an outlet at the bandsaw. The bandsaw has a
15A 220v plug on it. So back to my original question is there an
issue with having a 15A outlet on a 30A circuit (the circuit is wired
in #8 romex)?
Does not meet code, but you COULD put a fuse or breaker in the outlet
box to protect the outlet to 15 amps.

Would this meet code:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...00x200/6196232
.jpg&imgrefurl=http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/14-45-box-covers.aspx%3Fp
age%3D2%26sortBy%3D&usg=__Yfe2-HP7-KWbXQS2p59KoT3wvus=&h=200&w=200&sz=5&hl=e
n&start=58&zoom=0&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=3toQ_8LCe8N2JM :&tbnh=104&tbnw=104&prev=/
images%3Fq%3Dfused%2Breceptacle%26start%3D42%26um% 3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff
%26sa%3DN%26ndsp%3D21%26tbs%3Disch:1

Sorry, better link...

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...fuse-box-cover
-620715.aspx

Rather than listen to internet debates, look it up in the US "National
Electrical Code". One can buy used copies cheaply, as a new issue comes
out every five years or so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Electrical_Code

What I do know is OK (by reading the NEC) is a subpanel feeding
individual breakers (or fuses) which feed for instance individual
machines. The machines may be direct wired or wired through a dedicated
outlet.

The wire sizes must always be sufficient to carry whatever the last
breaker will pop at.

In all circuits, all hot wires must be opened if any wire draws too much
current. The neutral (white) and safety ground (green) wires are never
opened or switched.

So, a 110 volt single phase branch breaker opens only the one hot wire.

A 220 volt single phase branch circuit breaker must open both hot wires,
even if there is no neutral. There must always be a safety ground.

A 220 volt three phase circuit breaker must open all three hot wires,
even if there is no neutral. There must always be a safety ground.

Joe Gwinn

My bad - I read 15 amp 120 volt plug.

If the band saw is 220, he DOES need a double pole breaker or dual
fuse disconnect.

Might not be 100% to code, but would be SAFE to take a standard 220
fused disconnect and put a cord with a plug to fit the 40 amp cord on
one side, and a 15 amp or 20 amp 220 receptacle on the other side.