Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electrical wiring question - shop related

wrote in message
Is it permissable to have an outlet that is rated for less curent than
the circuit breaker is?

No. Its also potentially dangerous if you have a problem.

I wired the detached garage for 40A 220v service (it seemed like a lot
of capacity 25 years ago!). In the garage is a subpanel with (4) 110V
and (1) 30A 220v circuits. Originally the 30A breaker fed one single
outlet (for the arc welder and compressor that I would someday own) -

I have a 50 for my welder and 30s for my table saw and future compressor.
Each is a different type of plug and outlet. 40amps isn't much. Its time
to start thinking about upgrading your service to that area.

eventually I got tired of unplugging the welder to plug in the
compressor or phase converter and now have (3) 220v outlets side by
side in one box. Over the years I made up an extension cord to be able
to weld on the opposite side of the garage and to power the bandsaw.

I hope its some really heavy duty cord. Heavier than the heaviest 110 cord
you might find in a good hardware store.

I am considering adding an outlet at the bandsaw. The bandsaw has a
15A 220v plug on it. So back to my original question is there an
issue with having a 15A outlet on a 30A circuit (the circuit is wired
in #8 romex)?

Yes, there is an issue. You could theoretically have a problem and draw
enough power to start a fire without tripping the breaker.