Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Frozen Condensate pipe

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 09:55:57 -0000, John wrote:

I am now thinking of tee'ing in an emergency winter by-pass so that if
it freezes again I can drain off into a bucket in my airing cupboard.

Sensible. Make sure that the boiler has a water trap built in to
prevent any chance of fumes escaping down the condensate pipe into
the house. Of course if it doesn't have a trap one could construct
one from bends etc...

I think I'd be tempted to make the T a "passive automatic"(*) one and
have a container permenantly under the interior outlet, possibly with
a moisture alarm.

(*) ASCII art:

Boiler

| Condensate drain
|
| +--+ Inverted "U"
| | |
+-----T---------- Normal outlet

| +-+
| | | Constructed trap
+-+ | (If required)

Bucket

If the normal outlet becomes blocked condensate backs up to the level
of the inverted "U" then flows into the trap and out to the bucket.
Just ensure that the top of the inverted "U" is well below the bottom
of the boiler.

This should work but I don't know how boilers detect a blocked
condensate drain.

Water level alarm:
http://www.electronic-circuits-diagr...msimages/6.gif

Or pop one of these in the bucket "FireAngel Water Alarm H20-1".
£6.98 from B&Q a search on that works, the URL is otherwise 5 lines
long! I suspect that name and product code are B&Q only, google
doesn't bring up much other than links back to B&Q. I'd be surprised
if there are no other similar, cheap, Far Eastern orgin devices on
the market.

--
Cheers
Dave.