Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Frozen Condensate pipe

John wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
John wrote:
It has happened!

My boiler is in the loft and the condensate leads pit to the roof
guttering. I know it wasn't ideal but due to the location and the
layout of the house it wasn't possible to have an internal
condensate solution without pipes down stairwell and into cloakroom.

I am now thinking of tee'ing in an emergency winter by-pass so that
if it freezes again I can drain off into a bucket in my airing
cupboard.
If it freezes for just a few days in a cold spell like this I can
cope with it - preferable to major external drain pipes.

Has anyone done this?

Have you thought about using a heat trace cable? Someone posted a
link to a supplier the other day. It looked very useful
--
Adam

Yes (saw it)- but the problem possibly starts in the guttering - snow
gets in - turns to ice and then works its way to the outlet of the
pipe. The pipe in the loft is well lagged.

Problem is the house is fairly square - double hipped roof. Boiler in
centre where there is height - but still fairly low due to roof angles

It would not work then. It certainly would not have worked at mine, the fall
pipe on the north side of the house froze solidly up this week. It was
almost certainly the melting of the snow on the roof causing drips down the
pipe that then froze causing an ice plug near the bottom.

--
Adam