The Good Bohemian

Default Beaver 6200 9" contractor ts - tehcnical questions

Good evening... If any of you collectors of older Beaver/Rockwell
table saws are listening, perhaps you could help?

Recently I picked up a 9" full cast contractor saw and I am in the
midst of tuning it as near to perfection as I can. The only things
left to tackle are the arbor run out problem and the possibility of
fitting a blade cover/splitter to it. This saw was never released with
a guard assembly offered so anyone with creative solutions, feel free
to comment (I'd rather not make one from scratch). Anyway...
I got a burst of initiative today and ripped the whole saw down limb
from limb. I took both the bearings out and I have found a source for
replacements locally. I also found a machine shop that said they'll
press the new ones in for $5-$10 on a lunch break. Sometimes you get
lucky...
I do have a little concern though... I have been noticing some
serious run out at the arbor (I've sanded, polished, etc. both of the
washers with no major improvement). Anyway, the flange or arbor washer
directly in front of the bearing closest to the blade... is it
supposed to be physically attached to the shaft or is it meant to be
removable? I managed to take it off but it required some careful blows
with a punch and dead mallet. Since I took it apart, I now know that
the chances of a warped shaft are slim to none. I am hoping that by
replacing both bearings and flanges/nuts, I should be good to go. Is
it normal for the arbor flange to have a **tiny** bit of play or is it
supposed to be 100% rock solid (before the nut is tightened down on
it)? The movement I found at the flange had nothing to do with the
bearings as the two pieces have a tiny gap between them (I was thinking
maybe some kind of spacer/snap ring went south). Should I replace the
washers and the bearings and call it a day or should I order a new
arbor assy also?? Thoughts??

Thanks again,

Andrew.