Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default CAD to parts, dirt cheap?

Jon Anderson wrote in news:AFRJo.421477
:

On 11/30/2010 9:06 AM, Winston wrote:

Has anyone used this service bureau?
Can you give me your reactions, please?

http://www.shapeways.com/

Was hoping someone had some feedback on this. Looks interesting to be
sure. If you use them for anything, please update us on your

impressions!

I recently got an email from Alibre, the CAD software I use. They were
shilling for these guys:

http://www.ponoko.com/

It sounds like an interesting business model. The bulk of the stuff they
have as examples appear to be sheet material that is laser cut, or maybe
water jetted. They've recently added 3D printing, including "stainless
steel" (at $10/cc, which doesn't sound all that bad). It's actually SS
powder infused with bronze. I've always dreamed of having a 3D
lithography machine, but if I can get stuff fabbed for a reasonable
price, this would be a fun way to experiment with the process.

Doug White