Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CAD to parts, dirt cheap?

Has anyone used this service bureau?
Can you give me your reactions, please?

http://www.shapeways.com/
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/

They claim to be able to convert STL files to parts
in glass, stainless, plastic or aluminide for a
$25 minimum order, $1.50 setup cost and US $1.50 per
cubic inch of nylon, for example.
(More for other materials).

Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/30/2010 9:06 AM, Winston wrote:

Has anyone used this service bureau?
Can you give me your reactions, please?

http://www.shapeways.com/

Was hoping someone had some feedback on this. Looks interesting to be
sure. If you use them for anything, please update us on your impressions!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Finally had a look; I've seen some of the stuff that comes out of
this technique: it's quite nice. For a good time google "Bathsheba Grossman"
to see what she does with this process.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Time flies like an arrow
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Fruit flies like a banana
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote in news:AFRJo.421477
:

On 11/30/2010 9:06 AM, Winston wrote:

Has anyone used this service bureau?
Can you give me your reactions, please?

http://www.shapeways.com/

Was hoping someone had some feedback on this. Looks interesting to be
sure. If you use them for anything, please update us on your

impressions!

I recently got an email from Alibre, the CAD software I use. They were
shilling for these guys:

http://www.ponoko.com/

It sounds like an interesting business model. The bulk of the stuff they
have as examples appear to be sheet material that is laser cut, or maybe
water jetted. They've recently added 3D printing, including "stainless
steel" (at $10/cc, which doesn't sound all that bad). It's actually SS
powder infused with bronze. I've always dreamed of having a 3D
lithography machine, but if I can get stuff fabbed for a reasonable
price, this would be a fun way to experiment with the process.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 00:44:57 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

Jon Anderson wrote in news:AFRJo.421477
:

On 11/30/2010 9:06 AM, Winston wrote:

Has anyone used this service bureau?
Can you give me your reactions, please?

http://www.shapeways.com/

Was hoping someone had some feedback on this. Looks interesting to be
sure. If you use them for anything, please update us on your

impressions!

I recently got an email from Alibre, the CAD software I use. They were
shilling for these guys:

http://www.ponoko.com/

It sounds like an interesting business model. The bulk of the stuff they
have as examples appear to be sheet material that is laser cut, or maybe
water jetted. They've recently added 3D printing, including "stainless
steel" (at $10/cc, which doesn't sound all that bad).

It doesn't? A quart of that stuff would cost just $9,463.53.
I guess for a 3" 3D litho, it could be affordable.

It's actually SS
powder infused with bronze. I've always dreamed of having a 3D
lithography machine, but if I can get stuff fabbed for a reasonable
price, this would be a fun way to experiment with the process.

Yeah, geting someone else to print it for you on their machine saves
you tens of thousands of up-front dollars.

Peachy keen items, too. Look at this gaudy necklace!
http://www.ponoko.com/design-your-ow...-necklace-3749
ribbit

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
On 11/30/2010 9:06 AM, Winston wrote:

Has anyone used this service bureau?
Can you give me your reactions, please?

http://www.shapeways.com/

Was hoping someone had some feedback on this. Looks interesting to be
sure. If you use them for anything, please update us on your impressions!

Sorry for the late reply.
My newfangled filters need tuning!

I will let you know if I do anything with
Shapeways.

--Winston