Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default Is this drill working properly? Makita 8391

On Dec 6, 8:39 pm, David Robinson
wrote:
On Nov 22, 10:06 pm, John Rumm wrote:

Never thought to actually try this, but I just did on myMakita8443D,
and yes I can stop it on setting 16. Its got a fairly strong tug though
at that setting. I would guess a 2" 10 gauge twinthread screw into
softwood without a pilot hole would be about the limit of theclutchon
the highest setting.

Funny you should say that. Today I was using 10g 2.5" single thread
into floorboards with a pilot hole, and at the top setting, when the
screw hit the last cm (i.e. the bit where the pilot hole ended) the
clutch slipped.

I swapped back to the focus DIY model, and at setting 19 (out of 21)
it did the job perfectly. Screws all the way in, without jumping or
snapping, every time.

I wasn't sure before, but now I am: This thing's got to go back!!!

can;t you just learn to use the drill setting, on low speed and judge
it manually?

Expecting any tool (never mind powertools) to operate "the same" as
others is asking a little much IMHO

Does your supplier operate a "no quibble" returns policy? if not have
you thought how you are going to justify your return?

Jim K